Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > milk stout vs sweet stout

Old 11-24-2010, 02:48 AM   #1
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Default milk stout vs sweet stout

I did a chocolate stout last year that I would like to improve on this year. It was great, except that without any 'sweetness' to it, the cocoa came through as plain cocoa, very 'earthy'. I'm fairly certain that I can accomplish what I want with a chocolate extract however, I have had bad experiences with them in the past and would like to work out a recipe without them.

Tinkering with different grains today with the 'brewpal' app on the ipod, I worked out a 'sweet stout'. I have read that a sweet stout and milk stout are the same thing. I have also read that a milk stout requires the addition of lactose. I'm not so sure I want to do this.

If I can find a dark base brew that has actual sweetness to it, I have a number of ideas that I would like to try this winter. However, I would like to know if a 'sweet stout' is actually sweet.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Old 11-24-2010, 02:54 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1194 Times on 818 Posts
Likes Given: 2311

Yes, sweet = milk = cream stout. It is sweet, with an addition of lactose, which is a nonfermentable sugar. Here's one that I enjoy fwiw http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/sweet-stout.html

Old 11-24-2010, 03:25 AM   #3
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Okay, got it now... I didn't understand lactose's placement as a non-fermentable sugar. I guess I just need to brew one up and see! When I think 'lactose', I think milk. I don't drink milk very often. Consequently, the thought of 'milk and beer' doesn't sit too well.

I guess I brew for this weekend picked out now!

Thanks...
Quote:
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Old 11-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
FoundlingOfDollar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Find yourself a few bottles of Left Hand Milk stout or something similar and try it. It doesn't taste milky, just like a stout with some sweetness to it.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:37 AM   #5
AKbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sam Adams Cream Stout is a milk stout also.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:25 AM   #6
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 63

And Terrapin Moo Hoo, which I just bought a sixer of (and is pretty good BTW), is a chocolate sweet stout. Lactose use is documented...

edit: FWIW, I've heard that the brewers at Terrapin are pretty open to questions from homebrewers...if you're really interested in a chocolate sweet stout, it wouldn't hurt to e-mail them to see if you could get some proportions on their recipe...as you can see from the link they are already very forthcoming on the ingredient list....
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet, Wild Cider, Simple Cyser
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Reason: addendum

Old 11-25-2010, 03:57 AM   #7
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I bought a couple of 'sweet stout' beers tonight. Both 22oz. bombers. Interestingly enough, they were the only two beers in the entire store that I found that could possibly be termed 'sweet'. Both of these say right on the label they were brewed with lactose.

Arcadia Ales - Cocoa Loco - This was on the discount rack. It was the only one left so, I had to have it... I'm not used to a beer this sweet. As far as the 'stout' goes, I thought this was pretty good. Not too bitter. It has a very caramel / raisin flavor to it. If I had to guess, I would say that the molasses is what is giving this off. I found the company on the interwebz and they designate this beer as a 'triple chocolate milk stout'.

Southern Tier brewing company - Imperial Creme Brulee Stout - Currently, as I type, this beer is kicking my ass. 10% abv and I woofed down about half of it on the first 'sip'... It's brewed with vanilla beans and is actually alot sweeter than the Cocoa Loco. It's also a lot more bitter. I don't know if I like the really sweet / bitter combination. What I found really cool about this beer is that it smells like creme brulee!

There is a bigger retail store not too far from here, I'm gonna have to stop by and see what they have in regards to sweet / milk stouts...
Quote:
Go Beer!

Old 11-25-2010, 07:38 AM   #8
NorthRiverS
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Ahhhhhhh..........Sweet stout. Take me back to college. To Olympia Dark.........I would give anything to taste Olympia Dark again....... The only thing that has come close is San Miguel Dark, also a sweet dark beer. Anyone know of clone recipes that would come close to either of these? I would be deeply in debt........

Many thanks

NRS

Old 11-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1194 Times on 818 Posts
Likes Given: 2311

I think the key to a cream stout is balance - between the maltiness, bitterness, sweetness, and roastiness. If you get those in balance, cream stouts are one of my favorites. In fact, I have a batch that's just about ready to bottle!