First wort hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LizardBrew83

Reaction score
I have search the forum for this answer, but can't quite find one. When FWHing, do the hops get removed and no longer used or do they remain and get used for bittering. I am planning on doing this with a bohemian pils. Thanks

Not sure I would do it with a Pils but I do it for IPA's. Put the hops in the kettle you are collecting the wort in and just leave them there through the boil. It adds a smooth bitterness and flavor and a little bit of aroma. I love FWH!

I toss them in the first runnings while the mash tun is still draining and leave them in. I did them as the only addition in a Smash to see what it did, they really contribute a good amount of flavor and aroma. I couldn't say if it was smoother, no side by side.

Guess I did it wrong then - I put my FWH addition in my mash just prior to sparging when I made my RYE PA 7 weeks ago. It definitely did NOT impact the beer - it is kick-ass !!!

Guess I did it wrong then - I put my FWH addition in my mash just prior to sparging when I made my RYE PA 7 weeks ago. It definitely did NOT impact the beer - it is kick-ass !!!

The FWH goes into the wort, but mash hops go into the mash. I don't use MH much, but I FWH often. Now that a pound of hops is pretty reasonable again, I'll probably try some more MH.

ok thanks for the responses... So the FWH replaces bittering hops or do I need to add more bittering hops?

ok thanks for the responses... So the FWH replaces bittering hops or do I need to add more bittering hops?

That's up for debate, actually!

In my opinion, they replace the bittering hops. But I've heard other brewers say that it's more like a 20 minute flavor addition. I've used FWH for maybe 50-60 batches, and always use them as the sole bittering addition, unless I'm adding some more bitterness in a bigger IPA. I might use an ounce of cascade FWH, and still use .5 ounce of chinook for bittering, as an example. But I do get the full effects of bittering out of the FWH addition.

The general consensus (if there can be a consensus amongst people disagreeing) is that the extraction rate in terms of IBUs is similar to a 20 minute addition. I think from my experience that it rounds out the bitterness level nicely but I still use bittering hops, just in lower amounts. My experience is not a side by side taste though, just the same recipe done two different ways, so my memory may play a role in my judgement.

If I remember George Fix's article correctly the FWH were added when the wort had covered the bottom of the pot, they were comprised of the late addition hops, and increased the IBU's about 10% above the control. The also tested this on pilsners, so you are gtg for that.

I personnally do as many others do, pull about 1/3 of my "flavor" hops and use that for FWH, leaving my bittering hops in place. You leave the hops in the entire boil.

I do not put hops into the mash, I have read enough to indicate it is pointless to make it not worth my while; however, I suppose a good side by side experiment would be in order to really know.

I believe we've read the same article. The reason they did it with pilseners was so they could identify the subtelties of the hops better. Maybe I'll try it next time I make a Pilsener, I just get worried about the hops dominating the flavor profile too much. I don't remember them being added when the wort had covered the bottom of the pot though, I thought they just threw them in the pot and then drained the wort. I honestly don't understand the point of waiting until the wort is already in the pot unless you are trying to limit hot side aeration. Maybe I'll see if I can find that article again. I have not put hops in the mash before, I have never read anything convincing me of it being worthwhile either.

Ever try Morimoto Imperial Pilsner from Rogue? Massive Saaz hops...nothing wrong with a nicely hopped pilsner.

I don't think it really matters if the FWH are put in before wort starts going into the pot or shortly after, it was just the procedure they used in the report.

Never tried it, I'll check it out. I've always been in the camp of malty, moderately hopped Pilseners for no reason other than I always have. But I do love Saaz hops!

The technique I've been using is to add a portion of the bittering hops to the kettle as the wort covers the bottom. They are left in through the boil. The 30 minute flavor addition is dialed down about 50-75% (for 1 oz FWH, I deduct .5 to.75 oz of flavor hops).

They will impart a little more bitterness, but a smoother bitterness and a subtle background flavor that adds a lot of complexity. Basically, you can think of it as a portion of your bittering hops doing double duty.

Latest posts

Back