Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Oaking a NE Cider

Old 11-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
VTBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Oaking a NE Cider

I have a cider from fresh pressed apples at local orchard. Measured 1.048, added 2 pounds brown sugar, 1 pound dextrin and a cup of mollasses. Wyeast cider yeast (oh, used campden for 48 hours first) and it fermented way down to .995 in a few weeks. (10/17 - 11/4). So on the 4th I racked to secondary and added 3.5 oz dark toast oak chips from LHBS.

I tasted today, 4.5 days into oaking and it is quite noticable in taste and smell, and good. I was planning on leaving on the oak for a month though.

is it going to get ridiculous? How drinkable will it be (serving it still) in the bottle after a month on oak and just a week in bottle? What about after say 4 months in the bottle? Is one month on this amount of oak unusual?

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Old 11-09-2010, 01:00 AM   #2
RukusDM
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBrewer View Post
I have a cider from fresh pressed apples at local orchard. Measured 1.048, added 2 pounds brown sugar, 1 pound dextrin and a cup of mollasses. Wyeast cider yeast (oh, used campden for 48 hours first) and it fermented way down to .995 in a few weeks. (10/17 - 11/4). So on the 4th I racked to secondary and added 3.5 oz dark toast oak chips from LHBS.

I tasted today, 4.5 days into oaking and it is quite noticable in taste and smell, and good. I was planning on leaving on the oak for a month though.

is it going to get ridiculous? How drinkable will it be (serving it still) in the bottle after a month on oak and just a week in bottle? What about after say 4 months in the bottle? Is one month on this amount of oak unusual?
What kind of volume of cider did you start with. Thats a heap of sugar there.

#1 - 5 Gallons Harp Clone All Grain with Wyeast 2007 Lager (~5.5% ABV)

Secondary's:
#1 - 6 Gallons Dry Irish Stout Partial (~4.0 ABV)
#2 - 6 Gallons Brown Sugar Ale All Grain with Nottingham Yeast (~5.0% to 5.2%)

Kegged:
6 Gallons Honey Ale AG

Next:
6 Gallons Brown Sugar Lager

Old 11-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
VTBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just shy of six. OG was 1.081.

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Old 11-09-2010, 11:50 PM   #4
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yes, the oak will get ridiculous if you let it. If it's already noticeably, you should go ahead and rack off of it. It will subside a bit with age, but the experts say to oak it until it's just a little too much then rack immediately. The experts also say it's better to use less oak for a longer time than big quantities for a short amount of time. Also, the darker the toast level, the quicker it affects your drink.

There's an oak link in the Ingredients Sticky in the Recipe/Ingredients forum, not in first post but on page 1. It's got some science in it.