Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Old 11-02-2010, 04:35 AM   #11
killian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nice! I have been saving all of those bottles for a batch of Dark strong. I will probably wind up buying some.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

PROST-ed! I love the pictures. Man, those bottles sure do look nice with corks and cages, and your label looks awesome on there too! Very nice job all around.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #13
mychalg9
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Wow, very nice! Now if you would just let me know when our *wink* reunion will be coming up.....

Old 11-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #14
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 22

What camera did you shoot those with? Well done!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #15
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

lotbfan, I only saw this one, but I'm tempted to go back to Goodwill and see if there are any more.

killian, See if there are any bars in your area that specialize in Belgian imports and ask if they'll hold them for you. I have like 20 extra and will go back to my local for more so I have enough to bottle a second and third batch. That should mean I'll have 100+ bottles in rotation (!!!). Looks like I'll have to build some crates to store these on their sides.

Burgs, thanks. I'm super proud of this project. I may focus on Belgians for a couple of years. Not seeing too many homebrewers doing this with this bottling technique.

mychalg9, only if you have that five dollars I loaned you in second period. Hmm, let's see, with 20 years of interest ...

n_g, my wife shot the bottling pics and I did the "sampling" pics with a Nikon D60. She's really starting to eclipse me in her photography eye.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #16
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Excellent!

have you considered dipping a few in wax and laying them down for a year or two?

Old 11-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #17
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Yeah, I might do that in champagne bottles with corks and crown caps once I've perfected this recipe. Though, I think a tripel may last longer, though. I expect these will peak at six months.

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #18
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Great read and I love the pics. Is it a good idea to keep beers on their sides, as you mentioned? They would be in contact with a cork which is better than a metal cap, I imagine but I have heard keeping them on their sides is bad because more beer is exposed to the "air" in the bottle.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:23 AM   #19
JetSmooth
Recipes 

I do have them all on their sides in a foot locker. I guess there would be more surface area, but I think the more important thing is to keep the cork from drying out. The beer carbonating should be producing Co2 and filling the head space. I wouldn't think that's as big of a risk.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:00 AM   #20
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey Jet - if you ever find yourself needing that capper/corker again - it's the same one I have and I'm only a few miles away if you find yourself 'in need.'