Carboy Cleansing - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carboy Cleansing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
betelgeuse4721
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Oviedo, Florida
Posts: 76



Greetings,

I just bottled some Oktoberfest and im about to start brewing some American lager.

However, my glass carboy is slightly dirty from my previous brew.

What is the easiest and fastest way to clean/sanitize my glass carboy?
I have household bleach and a sanitizer called C-Brite on deck.

Thanks
Brady

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
JonK331
 
JonK331's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,100
Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts


PBW for one hour with hot water. THen starsan. Avoid using a brush if possible as it can scratch the glass.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
strat_thru_marshall
 
strat_thru_marshall's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,641
Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
PBW for one hour with hot water. THen starsan. Avoid using a brush if possible as it can scratch the glass.
Or for the cheaper way,

One scoop Oxyclean Free, fill with water, let soak until clean.

You can use a carboy brush on the inside too if you need to, I've been doing that for years and have yet to be able to scratch glass with the nylon brush.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
Germelli1
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Blacksburg/Herndon, VA
Posts: 2,156
Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
PBW for one hour with hot water. THen starsan. Avoid using a brush if possible as it can scratch the glass.
+1 on the soak (but I use oxyclean versitile free overnight)

-1 on the brush...I highly doubt the carboy brushes can scratch the glass without some sort of abusive use.

However on plastic "better bottles" or plastic carboys use of a brush is cautioned
__________________
If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
PassionBeer
 
PassionBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by betelgeuse4721 View Post
Greetings,

I just bottled some Oktoberfest and im about to start brewing some American lager.

However, my glass carboy is slightly dirty from my previous brew.

What is the easiest and fastest way to clean/sanitize my glass carboy?
I have household bleach and a sanitizer called C-Brite on deck.

Thanks
Brady
I use a cleaning powder and fill the carboy almost all the way up with warm/hot water and let it sit for a bit. I use the cleaning brush to scrub away any trub that may be on the glass. Then store and sanitize with the same methodology before use.
__________________

Primary: N/A
Secondary: N/A
Planning: Berliner Weisse, Citra Pale Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
COLObrewer
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Pea Green, Colorado
Posts: 2,935
Liked 65 Times on 57 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Germelli1 View Post
. . . . However on plastic "better bottles" or plastic carboys use of a brush is cautioned
+1, If you have to scrub a plastic carboy, put a thick sock or two around the brush end first.
__________________
Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Spludge
 
Spludge's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Alaska
Posts: 434
Liked 29 Times on 9 Posts


Don't use the household bleach
__________________
Schadenfreud Brewing
Beer and hockey, the reasons I wake up every afternoon

Fermenting
Jamil's Russian Imperial Stout, RIS Partigyle, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Denny Conn RyeIPA, BierMuncher's B.W. #2

Bottle Conditioning/Drinking
Jamil's ESB, Honey Raspberry,EdWort's Bavarian Hefe, Oatmeal Stout, Jamil's Amber Ale, BierMuncher's Belgian Wit, Red Ale, Kitchen Sink, Yeasty Beasty Hefe, American Pale, Zone Zero Black, Maibock

Foster School of Business

Husky Ice Hockey

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
JonK331
 
JonK331's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,100
Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by strat_thru_marshall View Post
Or for the cheaper way,

One scoop Oxyclean Free, fill with water, let soak until clean.

You can use a carboy brush on the inside too if you need to, I've been doing that for years and have yet to be able to scratch glass with the nylon brush.
It is not the nylon brush that scratches the glass. It is the twisted metal rod that the nylon is attached to.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
JonK331
 
JonK331's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,100
Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
+1, If you have to scrub a plastic carboy, put a thick sock or two around the brush end first.
great idea! However the point of PBW is that you don't have to scrub. I haven't scrubbed a carboy in years.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
COLObrewer
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Pea Green, Colorado
Posts: 2,935
Liked 65 Times on 57 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
great idea! However the point of PBW is that you don't have to scrub. I haven't scrubbed a carboy in years.
Could be, PBW is expensive, I on the other hand am cheap so I us oxyclean and scrub when needed.
__________________
Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reusing yeast in primary carboy with hops on walls of carboy? brewinginct Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 09-27-2010 06:39 PM
glass carboy VS plastic carboy.. which to chose? 802VermontHomebrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 15 05-10-2010 01:24 AM
Carboy question. 5 gal carboy for a 5 gal batch? darkestdays Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 04-04-2010 12:33 AM
Carboy w/ Spigot vs Reg Carboy+Auto-Siphon?? mikeyp123 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 06-24-2009 04:06 PM
Glass carboy for 5g batches do i need a 6.5g carboy? ohill1981 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 15 12-16-2008 05:10 AM


Forum Jump