Calling all computer know-it-alls!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetallHed

Reaction score
My stupid sound isn't working correctly! It's driving me nuts!

The sound plays really really low, even though my volume is to the max.

I have sound audigy 2 for a sound card.

Recently I installed a new graphics card, could this be the root cause? It worked fine right after I installed the graphics card, but then intermittently cut in and out... then finally.. out.

What do you suggest I try? Will I have to get a new sound card?

It's a dell comp thats about 7 years old, FWIW. 1 GB RAM, 40 GB HD, etc.

Thanks for any help... I NEED MY METAL!!! :rockin:

The sound plays really really low, even though my volume is to the max.

When you say that the "volume is to the max", are you talking about the volume control on your media player, or the volume control that is accessible through the microsoft control panel's "sound and audio devices" tool?

First thing I would do is download the newest drivers for both the graphics card and the audio card -- install - reboot - test.

It sounds like your have drivers fighting each other.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

double click on your volume control, sometimes there is a "mixer" and make sure all of them (expect the mic) are set to max, sometimes the "wave" level get dropped.

when you say that the "volume is to the max", are you talking about the volume control on your media player, or the volume control that is accessible through the microsoft control panel's "sound and audio devices" tool?
+1

Intermittent sounds like a bad or loose wire to me. Very common, especially in headphones. If you are running the speakers/headphones off the front panel connector, don't forget to check the audio cables INSIDE the case too!

The video drivers will generally have nothing to do with the audio drivers, but "some" cards are dual purpose. Haven't seen it for YEARS though. (except for motherboards with integrated video and audio chipsets...)

So wiggle those wires!

Steps to try:

Are wires plugged back into the correct ports, you replaced the graphics card, I'm sure you had to unplug them to get in there.

Wiggle wires, make sure the plug is making good contact with the jack, if it is sticking out a little it can do what you are describing.

Try a new cable or try plugging your current speakers into something like an ipod. If it works, not the speakers and cables could be card, Windows, Drivers. If it does the same as before than more than likely not the sound card, computer.

P.S. Don't update the drivers if it was working before, could introduce new problems.

Sorry but have to respectfully disagree. Introducing a new piece of hardware that will have a different driver (updated or not) can impact various other systems and drivers on you computer. I have worked in the field for over 15 years and have seen USB cards take down video cards, video cards take down audio cards (and vice versa).

I do agree that you should check your wires and connections before you do anything else - they can look ok but I would unplug and re plug each connection.

It is all good just different methods to solve problems.

Good luck.

Sorry but have to respectfully disagree. Introducing a new piece of hardware that will have a different driver (updated or not) can impact various other systems and drivers on you computer. I have worked in the field for over 15 years and have seen USB cards take down video cards, video cards take down audio cards (and vice versa).

I do agree that you should check your wires and connections before you do anything else - they can look ok but I would unplug and re plug each connection.

Good luck.

BillyBeer, your right, and I agree with you. My point was for him to not start updating drivers until he figures out its not on the wires and speakers side. Someone earlier suggested jumping straight to updating the driver, and as you know, newer versions of drivers don't always work. I've also seen problems depending on the PCI slot you put the card in.

I've also seen problems depending on the PCI slot you put the card in.

With video cards and pcie, there is usually not even a choice to make. You stick the gfx card into The Big Slot.

edit: just noticed that his PC is 7 years old. It might still be AGP.

Good luck.

While this can happen, it's very rare. And, in this case, it will very likely NOT cause an intermittent sound, but rather cause no sound, or system crashes.

If the video is working, and the sound is "working", but intermittent, I'd start with loose wires, which everyone knows is almost always shown to cause intermittent sound. Frankly, bad or incompatible drivers is just super rare.

If you recently had your case open, there is a chance that your sound card is not completely plugged in the the PCI slot.

I have seen that often with Dell Machines, their cases have their own way of holding down PCI and AGP cards. I would go and double check all of your hard connections and wires( as mentioned before) if it was a driver or Resource/IRQ issue Windows would tell you.

to double check right click on your "my computer" icon and open the properties tab after that click on the hardware manager button and look for warnings or red "x"'s

Thank you for all the help, everyone! I'll answer some questions. I'm back at work so I haven't had a chance to put the advice into use yet, but I will when i get home.

When you say that the "volume is to the max", are you talking about the volume control on your media player, or the volume control that is accessible through the microsoft control panel's "sound and audio devices" tool?

The volume control is to the max in all areas: control panel, media player, and external speaker volume control. The sound is still very low.

First thing I would do is download the newest drivers for both the graphics card and the audio card -- install - reboot - test.

It sounds like your have drivers fighting each other.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

I updated the driver for my video card and it caused the computer to crash, only allowing me to run in safe mode. I updated the audio drivers, I believe, to no change. I will have to double check the audio drivers, though, to be sure.

With video cards and pcie, there is usually not even a choice to make. You stick the gfx card into The Big Slot.

edit: just noticed that his PC is 7 years old. It might still be AGP.

I do have AGP. What difference does this make compared to PCI that might cause a problem?

If you recently had your case open, there is a chance that your sound card is not completely plugged in the the PCI slot.

I have seen that often with Dell Machines, their cases have their own way of holding down PCI and AGP cards. I would go and double check all of your hard connections and wires( as mentioned before) if it was a driver or Resource/IRQ issue Windows would tell you.

to double check right click on your "my computer" icon and open the properties tab after that click on the hardware manager button and look for warnings or red "x"'s

I did open the case, blow out and clean up any dust, take out and reinsert the audio and video cards, connect all the wires again, but it didn't change anything.

Again, thanks for all the help. I will start by disconnecting and reconnecting all the audio wiring and will update in the morning!

I recently had a video card crap out on me randomly. I would suggest going to the forums on tomshardware.com and searching and/or posting. They have a very thorough forum there.

Otherwise, I would go ahead and call customer service for the card. If the card is shot, you could probably send it back to the retailer or manufacturer and get a replacement.

bypassed the update for the video card that made it crash with an even new one. installed fine, works fine.. still having sound problems.

Back