Torrified wheat vs flaked wheat (again)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrAverage

Reaction score
I searched the forum and found a number of posts discussing the diffrences and simarities between torrified and flaked wheat, but none of them answered my questions -

What if anything is the flavor differnce between the two? and

When brewing an English Bitter that calls for torrified wheat, is flaked wheat a close substitute?

I understand the physical differences betwen them. I am interested in the flavor and other practical differences (i.e head retention, color, ) that would warrant me buying torrified wheat instead of flaked when making English Bitters and ales.

Thanks

Neither of them adds much flavor and they both boost head retention, if you are adding 5-10% for head retention they are a perfect sub. At higher levels there might be some subtle differences, but I haven't used a high percentage of torrifed before to know for sure.

Torrified wheat has a slightly toasty note while flaked wheat is just vaguely grainy. Torrified would be the way to go in a bitter IMO.

Back