Kegerator as fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BulldogBrewer

Reaction score
Would I be causing any problems with my kegerator (chest freezer) if I set the temp high (like 50-60 degrees)?

I don't have any beer in the keg right now (i know, for shame :tank:)... but I will be brewing 2 batches tomorrow. It's hot here (100ish outside, 78-84 in the house) and these need to ferment around 60 degrees. I'd like to use my kegerator instead of ice bottles in water if it's not going to damage the freezer unit.

Also - if these need to ferment let say 60, I'm assuming i should set the temp on the termostate around 55 to allow for the higher temp of the fermentation, not the ambient temp.

Thanks!

No guarantees, but I used my freezer as a fermentation chamber before I turned it into a keg cooler. Just keep an eye on the cycling and try to limit it to once an hour.

Thanks. I think that's one issue I'm going to need to solve. i don't think it kicks on THAT much, but during the height of the heat during these summers I'm guessing it does.

Are you using a temperature controller of any kind? I remember the temp getting much lower than what I set it at as the walls freeze over. The compressor shuts off and the freezer continutes to get colder.

That's what I plan on doing. I've got a mortgage and a family. I can't afford the money or space for that matter for two different fridge/freezers and temp controllers.

And when I say plan on doing, I mean started doing today. I just turned on my keezer for the secondary fermentation of my raspberry wheat and plan on just cranking the temp down after kegging.

I'm looking for a used chest freezer to use as a fermenter right now. I bought 2 Ranco's, one i installed on my Converted Danby mini fridge I use as a Kegerator. he other Ranco will be used on the freezer to control fermentation temps. It's hot here in the Inland Empire in the summer, and I want to get away from the frozen ice bottles. I have been looking for 5 CF chest freezer. My goal is to be able to fit 2 brew pails at a time. hope a 5 CF is big enough for that. any responses are appreciated

5cf might be a little small unless you add a collar to it.. i have a 7cf kirkland (costco brand, made by whirlpool) chest freezer that i'm using as a food freezer, it would barely hold 2 buckets if i were to use it for that purpose.. remember that the compressor steals floor space in a chest freezer, and some brands have bigger humps than others....

i don't know about california, but used freezers go for little cash up here in western washington. my 14cf whirpool that i converted into a keezer cost me $75, and it was in perfect condition when i bought it, not a scratch on or in it, and no missing parts.

I'm using my freezer to ferment in with a conical inside. I have a love temp control. It has a 4 degree differential. You'll still need a time delay relay(delay on make), any hvac parts store will have it. If you don't add that component, anytime you get in the freezer and the compressor is not running you run the risk of starting a loaded compressor. That can and will shut it off on its thermal overload protection. It'll eventually cool back down and run, but it's not worth it if you ask me. You'll just wire it so that the thermostat hot wire runs through it before it makes(starts) the compressor.

I'm using my freezer to ferment in with a conical inside. I have a love temp control. It has a 4 degree differential. You'll still need a time delay relay(delay on make), any hvac parts store will have it. If you don't add that component, anytime you get in the freezer and the compressor is not running you run the risk of starting a loaded compressor. That can and will shut it off on its thermal overload protection. It'll eventually cool back down and run, but it's not worth it if you ask me. You'll just wire it so that the thermostat hot wire runs through it before it makes(starts) the compressor.

Hmm, you would have to explain that to me in more detail. I have a stand up freezer in the garage, and i get stuff out of it all the time and the compressor comes on. what is the difference ??

It probably is kicking off on thermal overload sometimes if your in and out of it all the time. The reason it does this is after your compressor has cycled off it takes time for the pressures to equalize, if they don't and you start it back , it is starting loaded, which takes more power to get it up and running there by heating up the start windings in the motor and the little protective device called the thermal overload breaks the power to the motor, keeping it from overheating the windings in the motor. The time delay relay is common in the hvac industry although now electronic boards are taking its place or they are already built in to the t-stat. I'd guess the delay relay is a $12 part.

thanks. that explaines it. you know a lot. so that said, I'm using a converted Danby mini frige for a kegerator. i found some modification instructions on the net. I removed all the racks, was successful in bending the cooling plate down to the back. I have the 5lb co2 sitting on the step, and it fits 2 corneys pretty snug. I put a hole in the top, and attached a piece of 2" pvc about 5 " long which goes through a hole in the top, straight up into my outside bar, and the tower attaches to the bar top. I used a hi flow muffin fan in a hobby box to duct some cold air into the tower, but it is still not enough to keep down the foam. i'm thinking of trying to find a bigger fan, but there is limited space, and/or running the lines into the fan duct hose going into the tower. i welcome your comments

Back