Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast Starter With Aquarium Pump

Old 07-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
psuchunk03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast Starter With Aquarium Pump

So, here's what I'm thinking... I've got an old growler sitting around, and thought I could use it as a starter vessel... but (currently), I have no stir plate. After making the starter wort and pitching the smack pack/vial, I was thinking of this procedure:
  1. Aerate with a aquarium pump for 1/2 hour (or until foam looks like it will gush)
  2. Shake every one to two hours
  3. Hit it with the aquarium pump again
  4. Shake... etc

It's sort of combining the intermittent shaking and continuous aeration method described by Mr. Malty. The shaking should keep the yeast in suspension, while the aeration should drive out the CO2 and puts in O2. Thoughts?

Old 07-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
haplo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have no experience with the pump, but I've done starters just by shaking every hour or whenever I walked by and it worked fine for me. I just would start a day earlier than normal.

If you're looking for a cheap stir plate, rebelbrewer.com has a stirstarter package that works great for me. stirstarter.com even has instructions on how to build one yourself.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
psuchunk03
Recipes 

i'm in the process of building one via the onebeer directions, and the 'how to' on here... as well as getting help from a friend. it's not going so hot right now, so i am considering other methods... while saving the brew funds until i can buy a stir plate. thanks for the response!