Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Head Room In A Secondary

Old 07-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #11
JayInJersey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You could always just skip the secondary...give it a little longer and the yeasties will do the cleaning for you. (I leave mine in there min 3 weeks average 4)

Old 07-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
jay4e
Recipes 

assuming you keep your wort stationary head space wont have any effect at all. the surface area in most fermenters will be the same with 2 gallons as it is with 4 or 5. And co2 is heavier than o2 so it will form a barrier as it seeps out of the wart to keep that surface area protected. the sooner after fermentation you transfer the more co2 you will have for that barrier, but there is still likely plenty of co2 held i suspension and some residual fermentation will make a bit more.

that being said the place where you may run into trouble is moving the fermenter. more space means more likely to splash around and if your co2 blanket is small this can lead to o2 exposure.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #13
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 48

If you're using a carboy, there's less surface area at the top because the carboy narrows.

I've always tried to limit head space for secondary. Someone once suggested, if needed, adding a tiny bit of sugar water which will spark a small fermentation and create the necessary blanket of CO2.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #14
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianAlpha-RuBrew View Post
I know this may sound particular, and sloppy all at the same time, but when I brew I make up a batch of "Generic topup soulution."

1# pale dry malt extract in a gallon of water. I keep it in the fridge, and top up my secondarys so that I get a full carboy of beer. At the same time I use a smidge more hops when I breew so as not to dilute.
This is the winemaking way, but doesn't help when the headspace is greater than the amount of beer.

I would suggest not using a secondary.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:17 PM   #15
Brewdouche-RuBrew
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
This is the winemaking way, but doesn't help when the headspace is greater than the amount of beer.

I would suggest not using a secondary.
I feel icky reading that because I started out with wine. Latly though I have heard Zanis /& Palmer on their pod cast latly saying how they rarely even do secondarys anymore.

Maybe I should wise up and move on.

You knuckleheadz are my kinda smacktardZ
#3 DONT be a Brewdouche.
Comprehensive Beer Podcast list.
BasicBrewing
The Brewing Network

Old 07-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #16
Maltose
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

slightly OT, but if I'm brewing a 10g batch, but only have two 6g carboys, does it matter if I fill one all the way up and then the next carboy up to the same level? or should I fill them up simultaneously?

i plan on using a primary, then cold crashing for 3 days in my keezer.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
Brewdouche-RuBrew
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Malt

Why not adjust your recipe to be alittle more concentrated, and ad another 3/4 gallon or so of good water to the carboys to make more beer and eliminate the head space.

You knuckleheadz are my kinda smacktardZ
#3 DONT be a Brewdouche.
Comprehensive Beer Podcast list.
BasicBrewing
The Brewing Network

Old 10-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #18
Julohan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What are suggestions when you are about 5 gallons short in a 55 gallon secondary wood barrel? Fermentation was done before racking. Should I add sugar or just C02?