Bumping up a Mead ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
Hey all,

I started 3 gallons of a simple mead with 5lbs of honey mixed with approx 3 gals of water, tossed in some nutrient and let 'er rip. My OG was a measly 1.05, which will only go to about 6 or 7%. I wanted to know if I added another gallon with about 2 lbs of honey dissolved, will that kick up the total ABV? How do I calculate all of that?

thanks
mike

Don't bother with the extra water, just gently heat your honey to 165F for 20 minutes, cool it to 85F and pour it into the fermenter. It will settle on the bottom & get the yeast all hot & bothered.

Meads typically run 3-5 pounds of honey per gallon.

gonna say, on reading that, I thought it was a bit on the light side.

The couple of books I got before starting all seemed to quote the 3 to 5 lb per gallon levels.

Only thing I can think of, apart from extra honey, might be a bit of different yeast depending on what was originally used - it you're upping the honey, ergo increasing the ABV level then perhaps it's pertinent to add some "high alcohol" yeast ???

Just a thought.

ttfn

fatbloke

Latest posts

Back