Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Partial Mash Oatmeal Stout - Recipe & Process Critique
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
axr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: West Orange, NJ
Posts: 115
Default Partial Mash Oatmeal Stout - Recipe & Process Critique

Hey Homebrewers-

This is my first partial mash and I'm pretty amped to be progressing towards AG brews. I'd like to get some input on this recipe from those familiar with the PM process and from those who have made Oatmeal Stouts. Really interested in getting input on the mash process. I'm using BeerSmith software to calculate. In addition, using a 5 gal coleman cooler as a mash tun with copper manifold.

Thanks in advance,
axr

Here it is:

Ingredients:
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs 8.0 oz Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 54.11 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 12.06 %
1 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 12.03 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 9.06 %
12.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.01 %
5.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 3.74 %
0.97 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.8 IBU
0.97 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 15.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) [Starter 1500 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile:
Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.99%
Bitterness: 32.0 IBU Est Color: 35.0 SRM

Mash: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain: 3.81 lb
Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 5.49 qt of water at 163.3 F 153.0 F
15 min Mash Out Add 4.00 qt of water at 196.3 F 170.0 F
0 min Mash Out Add 4.00 qt of water at 170.0 F 170.0 F


axr is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
axr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: West Orange, NJ
Posts: 115
Default

no tips/critiques?


axr is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 65,146
Liked 5940 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 1516

Default

I'd suggest using specialty malts and base malt in a 1:1 ratio. So, for every pound of specialty grains, use a pound of 2-row. 1 pound in a PM just isn't enough. You can drop a little of the DME, to get the same OG with only 1 pound of base malt.

Also, oats may take a little longer to convert, so you can mash for 75 minutes to ensure more complete conversion.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
axr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: West Orange, NJ
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I'd suggest using specialty malts and base malt in a 1:1 ratio. So, for every pound of specialty grains, use a pound of 2-row. 1 pound in a PM just isn't enough. You can drop a little of the DME, to get the same OG with only 1 pound of base malt.

Also, oats may take a little longer to convert, so you can mash for 75 minutes to ensure more complete conversion.
Thanks for the advice Yooper. I made the corrections and all my numbers hit. The oats I'm using are flaked and it is my understanding that they were already gelantized(?) so that the conversion would be easier. Is this not the case, in your experience?

axr
axr is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 65,146
Liked 5940 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 1516

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axr View Post
Thanks for the advice Yooper. I made the corrections and all my numbers hit. The oats I'm using are flaked and it is my understanding that they were already gelantized(?) so that the conversion would be easier. Is this not the case, in your experience?

axr
You're correct. They have to be gelatinized before using- either by cooking them or using flaked oats. That's the right thing, so don't worry. It can just take a little longer to convert adjuncts like oats, while plain ole 2-row can convert in as quick as 20 minutes sometimes! Mashing for 75 minutes (instead of the standard 60) just ensure the oats have plenty of time to convert, if you're not doing an iodine test.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
axr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: West Orange, NJ
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
You're correct. They have to be gelatinized before using- either by cooking them or using flaked oats. That's the right thing, so don't worry. It can just take a little longer to convert adjuncts like oats, while plain ole 2-row can convert in as quick as 20 minutes sometimes! Mashing for 75 minutes (instead of the standard 60) just ensure the oats have plenty of time to convert, if you're not doing an iodine test.
I was planning on performing the iodine/iodophor test anyway so I'll be checking at the 45 & 60 minute marks. I'll go longer until I have conversion.
axr is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
JLem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Attleboro, MA
Posts: 3,652
Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
I'd suggest using specialty malts and base malt in a 1:1 ratio. So, for every pound of specialty grains, use a pound of 2-row. 1 pound in a PM just isn't enough.
Since most of the grains don't need to be converted (caramel, chocolate, rb) wouldn't a pound of 2-row be sufficient to convert itself and the flaked oats?


__________________
My Hombrewing Blog

My Beer Cellar
JLem is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oatmeal Stout Extract to Partial Mash bwiechman Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 03-11-2010 04:59 AM
Partial Mash Oatmeal Stout jhazel Recipes/Ingredients 1 02-23-2009 01:00 PM
BrownieBites' Chocolate Oatmeal Stout partial mash recipe bernerbrau Recipes/Ingredients 14 01-28-2009 02:19 PM
extract/partial mash oatmeal stout recipe castillo Recipes/Ingredients 2 05-23-2008 09:43 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS