off site kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyeman

Reaction score
I'm currently having to do my fermentation off-site (in my mother-in-laws) basement due to temps at my house getting too hot in the summer. I've just started kegging and have a 2 keg kegerator set up here at home which is working nicely. I don't really want to transport the beer back to my place and then back to the cellar every few days during carbonation and my co2 tanks is huge.

I would use botting sugar but I'm concerned about getting that initial seal on the keg. Does anyone use the little paintball topper-upper deals to seal the keg before the build-up from natural fermentation starts? Any other recommendations?

Thanks

Ok. Not real clear but this is what I think is going on. Ferment at mother-in-law's. Rack to keg there. Transport back to your place to purge keg/seat the seal. Back to her place for conditioning. Then to your place to put on tap. Is that what you're doing? If so, once you get it to your house to seal up, you don't have to take it back to her place. Since fermentation is complete, new esthers formed because your house is hot will be minimal. Just leave it in your basement/closet in the keg to condition then put on tap when you're ready.

There's even smaller units called CO2 injectors that would do the trick. They use 12 or 16 gm cartridges and are only $20-25. They don't have regulators, so you need to be careful about using very short bursts to seat the lid.

Back