How many different hops have been used in one recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David

Reaction score
I've heard of 9 or 10 different kinds of hops being used in an IPA but I'm sure someone has done a lot more. Anyone know what the record is, either for commercial beers or well-known homebrew recipes?

edit: I also just remembered Hop-15 which I think is named for the number of different hops?

As far as I know Hop-15 holds the record. It was crowned Alpha King at the 2008 GABF.

My personal record is seven.

In a couple of weeks I'm brewing a 6-hop IPA - I'll post a recipe and review when it's bottled.

But now my goal will be to make a good beer with 16 different hops. :rockin:

My 6-hop IPA is Apollo, Sorachi Ace, Bravo, Amarillo, Cascade, Citra

I made an IIPA with Magnum, Willamette, Chinook, Cascade, Centennial and Amarillo. It is easy drinking with strong overtones of fruit. I get mango flavors from all of these hops combined.

As far as I know Hop-15 holds the record. It was crowned Alpha King at the 2008 GABF.

My personal record is seven.

I've never heard of a beer with more hops than Port's hop-15 or my beer inspired by it. I did 15 different hop varieties in something like 18 additions.

Most I have seen is Shmaltz Brewery's (Hebrew) 13th Anniversary Ale which has, you guessed it, 13 types of hops, 13 malts, and 13% ABV

The Danish brewery Amager Bryhus used 20 different hop in the first batch of Rated XX, and upped it to 23 last time they brewed it. It sure isn't their best beer in my opinion, as the different hops don't mix very well and the beer seem out of balance (even for a hop head).
http://amagerbryghusv1.dana10.dk/240-143-172-rated-xx-2009.htm
(Sorry for the Danish text only; I don't think that they export that much yet).

Back