Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Dumb mistake...too much corn sugar....

Old 03-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Flic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Dumb mistake...too much corn sugar....

So as I was calculating the weight of corn sugar to use for bottling my Kolsch, I took the number calculated for DME off Beersmith instead of corn sugar which was about 30% more. Didn't realize until after everything was bottled. So for my 3 gallon bottling amount, I used 3.9 oz. instead of 2.8 oz. I assume I ruined this one. A real shame since it tasted so good out of the fermenter. Truly a stupid mistake that I'm sure I will not make again.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am not sure why everyone assumes minor mistakes will ruin their beer. You will have super carbed bottles, potentially a few bombs, but thats it.
Recommend making sure your bottles are boxes and a place thaat won't get too damaged by liquid.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Flic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
I am not sure why everyone assumes minor mistakes will ruin their beer. You will have super carbed bottles, potentially a few bombs, but thats it.
Recommend making sure your bottles are boxes and a place thaat won't get too damaged by liquid.
I was debating whether to uncap after a few days to let off some CO2 and then recap but that could result in having them undercarbed....or still overcarbed. Probably not worth it...

Old 03-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6045 Times on 4308 Posts
Likes Given: 1555

You used about 4 ounces (by weight?) of corn sugar. If that's the case, it won't give bottle bombs but it will be pretty well carbonated. I usually use 5 ounces in a 5 gallon batch for medium carbonation. You'll have about 3.5 volumes of carbonation, if my calculations are correct.

You could uncap and recap if you want. Or you could test one a week and when it's the right carbonation, stick it in the fridge to slow down the yeast.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
Monty420th
Recipes 

just keep an eye on them, and definitely put them in a place where the liquid won't ruin something
Primary 4 - IPA
Keg 1 - Dark lager 1.1
Keg 2 - Dark lager 1.2
Keg 3 - Dark lager 1.3
Keg 4 - Dark lager 1.4
Keg 5 - Coffee stout
Keg 6 - IPA redux
2012 to date - 10Gal

Old 03-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
Flic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
You used about 4 ounces (by weight?) of corn sugar. If that's the case, it won't give bottle bombs but it will be pretty well carbonated. I usually use 5 ounces in a 5 gallon batch for medium carbonation. You'll have about 3.5 volumes of carbonation, if my calculations are correct.

You could uncap and recap if you want. Or you could test one a week and when it's the right carbonation, stick it in the fridge to slow down the yeast.

Based on my fermentation temp of 63, I calculated it will be around 3.3 vols instead of the 2.6 I was shooting for. I'm mainly worried about exploding bottles. Maybe I'll try to recap some in a few days, refrigerate some after a week or 2 and leave some at room temp. It will at minimum be a good experiment!

Old 03-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #7
DansBrew
Recipes 

Hey... don't sweat it too much. Keep the temp steady and hang in there. If its as good as you say, it won't get to the bomb stage I had a brown ale that had been over carbed 2 weeks after bottling. That was in October. I just had my first bottle bomb 2 weeks ago. Which by the way seems pretty damn dangerous. I had a piece of glass 10 feet away... But you can throw them in the fridge once they taste right, and you'll never have a bomb.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:11 AM   #8
Beerbeque
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just take precautions in case of explosions. I warm condition in a rubbermade tub. It will probly be fine.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:00 AM   #9
ReeseAllen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What will happen is that your beer will first reach adequate carbonation and eventually over-carbonate. For a week or two, you should have beer that's just right. So as long as you drink it all during that period, you'll be fine

I massively over-primed a batch last fall without realizing it. It reached an acceptable carbonation level in about two weeks and stayed in a decent range for a couple of weeks more. Eventually it did get too carbonated and each bottle would ooze foam after opening for several minutes before calming down enough to pour and drink. I still have a few of those beers left in my closet and haven't had any bombs yet, fortunately.