blowoff tube for bucket - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > blowoff tube for bucket

Old 01-01-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
bdaddy
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have the basic 6.5 gallon buckets that are sold from midwest. The lid has a small hole (within the rubber gasket) for the airlock.

I'm wanting to brew Biermuncher's SWMBO slayer and understand it can kick up quite a bit of fermentation activity. I may be safe with 6.5 gallon fermenter (thoughts?), but if I'm not...what do people use for a blowoff when the lid hole is so small? On the better bottle/carboys you can insert a properly sized stopper or tube, but I haven't seen such a thing for these bucket lids.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:30 AM   #2
dracus
Recipes 

Aug 2009
cincinnati, ohio
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Bottom part of a 3 pIece airlock with some 5/16" (i believe) inner diameter tubing. It will slide over the post of the airlock and make a decent blow ofF. Make sure that the bottom doesnt have the 4 way cross piece. either break or dremel that off.

i do all my brews that way. Works great.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #3
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2009
Near Benedict Maryland
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

The cheapest and easiest way is to push a small tube through the opening and then fit a larger longer tube over it. But, I've just seen it done and never used one myself. I thought that with a 6.5 even a gallon of headroom was enough for most krausens. Here is a Youtube link to this guy who says he always uses a blow off with his 6.5's... hard to tell exactly how his blow off rig is made but I picture a small tube inside a larger one.

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 01-01-2010, 04:28 AM   #4
doghousechef
Recipes 

Apr 2009

I had a hefe start blowing through the airlock and replaced it with the tubing from my racking kit. The tube fit pretty snug through the hole in the lid. Worked like a charm.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:49 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

Quickly pull it out and clean and re sanitize it, then rig up an airlock blowoff tube...take your bottling wand, put a small slit in it...Heat it for a few minutes in hot water to soften, then do this.

then you'll be fine.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
Netflyer

Recipes 

Oct 2009
Near Benedict Maryland
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Eureka! Thanks Revvy. So what are the conditions that require a blow off tube? Or do you just do it all the time? If I have 5.5 gal of 1.051 an AG stout in a plastic 6.5 do I need one?

Thanks and HNY!

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 01-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netflyer View Post
Eureka! Thanks Revvy. So what are the conditions that require a blow off tube? Or do you just do it all the time? If I have 5.5 gal of 1.051 an AG stout in a plastic 6.5 do I need one?

Thanks and HNY!
Well there's really no way to tell what conditions. I've only really ever had one blowoff, and that was pitched on a yeast cake, but I've pitched other beers on top of other cakes and never needed one.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
apologeticus
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Charlotte, NC

I brewed a stout yesterday. no blow off on the fermenter. got an explosion overnight. I now highly recommend a blow off. I'll use fermcap S next time.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #9
phishfood
Recipes 

Sep 2009
FL
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The 3/8" supply tubes, either copper or cross linked polyethylene, for faucets, dishwashers, and toilets, will fit inside the grommet rather snugly. Either get several feet of the tubing, or a short piece and slide your 3/8" tubing that you use for bottling over that and use a small ziptie to cinch it down.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #10
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Valparaiso, Indiana
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghousechef View Post
I had a hefe start blowing through the airlock and replaced it with the tubing from my racking kit. The tube fit pretty snug through the hole in the lid. Worked like a charm.
I started doing this too. Rather than attaching the rubber hose to the airlock, just stick it in the rubber grommet in the lid. It does the same thing and isn't a pain in the rear disconnecting the hose from the airlock if/when you want to use it next.