Why I don't shop my LHBS... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Why I don't shop my LHBS...

Old 12-28-2009, 02:37 AM   #1
phrogpilot73
Loving the hobby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The SWMBO and my folks were out and about today, and I decided to swing by the LHBS to get a stopper for my 1L Erlenmeyer flask that I got for Christmas. I told them specifically "I need a drilled stopper for a 1L Erlenmeyer flask", and I also wanted to get a bung for my Better Bottle.

First, no bungs whatsoever. I decide to go with a drilled stopper. They gave me the wrong size for both, and I didn't realize until I got home. Combine this with the fact that they don't sell DME in bulk (I'm still an extract + grains guy), and that their price for DME is $3.00 more/pound than BMW.

They do have good prices on bulk grains and random stuff, so I'll still hit them up on occasion, but thank god for BMW...

Old 12-28-2009, 02:39 AM   #2
brewmonk
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Sharon,MA
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

That's good news. When they sell you the wrong sized replacement flask, you'll be all set.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:50 AM   #3
TheFlyingSparge
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2009
Rhode Island
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I hear you. I asked one of the local LHBS near me for Victory malt and they told me Melanoidin was the same thing and that's all they stocked. I'd agree Melanoidin could be viewed as an alternative, but only if you're happy producing a different result.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:52 AM   #4
Dalarast

Recipes 

Oct 2009
Virginia beach
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
The SWMBO and my folks were out and about today, and I decided to swing by the LHBS to get a stopper for my 1L Erlenmeyer flask that I got for Christmas. I told them specifically "I need a drilled stopper for a 1L Erlenmeyer flask", and I also wanted to get a bung for my Better Bottle.

First, no bungs whatsoever. I decide to go with a drilled stopper. They gave me the wrong size for both, and I didn't realize until I got home. Combine this with the fact that they don't sell DME in bulk (I'm still an extract + grains guy), and that their price for DME is $3.00 more/pound than BMW.

They do have good prices on bulk grains and random stuff, so I'll still hit them up on occasion, but thank god for BMW...

Interested to know what LHBS it was? I noticed that I have been steering away form the LHBS (probably the same one next to a Men's Warehouse) and shopping more online.

Don't want to give bad press about any business on here since I still use them and they have not done me wrong; but know plenty of people in our area who has had major issues there.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:08 AM   #5
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Mar 2007
Liked 121 Times on 100 Posts

In fairness, there is no standard stopper for an Erlenmeyer flask. Did you take the flask to the store to match it up?

When I order my flasks, they have a different size opening almost every time they arrive.

If the flask was purchased there, then they should have grabbed one off of the shelf and made sure it fit.

And there are so many brands of flasks out there that I wouldn't be able to tell you what size unless I had it in my hands and fitted it with a stopper.

Forrest

Old 12-28-2009, 03:29 AM   #6
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Silver Spring, MD.
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Are you talking about hombrew USA in Norfolk? I never had an issue with them. They use to have a crappy website but it looks good now. I found a bunch of ants in my grain once but thats about it.

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Old 12-28-2009, 03:30 AM   #7
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Mar 2007
Liked 121 Times on 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins_Brew View Post
Are you talking about hombrew USA in Norfolk? I never had an issue with them. They use to have a crappy website but it looks good now. I found a bunch of ants in my grain once but thats about it.
Those were probably weevils.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:32 AM   #8
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast

Recipes 

Jan 2009
NW Portland, OR
Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts

1. You should use foil, not a stopper if you are making starters with that flask!!
2. What is the difference between a bung and a drilled stopper?

Old 12-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
phrogpilot73
Loving the hobby

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingSparge View Post
I hear you. I asked one of the local LHBS near me for Victory malt and they told me Melanoidin was the same thing and that's all they stocked. I'd agree Melanoidin could be viewed as an alternative, but only if you're happy producing a different result.
Kind of the same thing, they only carry White Labs. My old LHBS carried both, and if I've gotten a recipe to exactly where I want it - I'm hesitant to change the yeast. But I guess I could try.

The guy there told me he only carried White Labs because you didn't need to make a starter, and you did need to make a starter for Wyeast. That's news to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalarast View Post
Interested to know what LHBS it was? I noticed that I have been steering away form the LHBS (probably the same one next to a Men's Warehouse) and shopping more online.

Don't want to give bad press about any business on here since I still use them and they have not done me wrong; but know plenty of people in our area who has had major issues there.
I think it's actually next to a K&G Men's Wear. I feel like it's kind of hit and miss there. Whenever the owners are there, I enjoy the experience. When they're not, well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
In fairness, there is no standard stopper for an Erlenmeyer flask. Did you take the flask to the store to match it up?
This I did not know. I'll be going back with flask in hand tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picobrew View Post
1. You should use foil, not a stopper if you are making starters with that flask!!
2. What is the difference between a bung and a drilled stopper?
Just out of curiosity, why no stopper?

A bung is like a stopper, but hollow out the space between the edge of the stopper and the hole and you have a bung. I've got both, and think the bung fits in my Better Bottle a little better.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR

Recipes 

Dec 2007
TK PK
Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts

no stopper because the point of a starter is to get the yeast to grow! just san some tin foil, and put it loosely over the top

claphamsa on untappd