Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The ArKeg...Do Want!

Old 10-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
neumann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default The ArKeg...Do Want!

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/10/arkeg/

I'm not sure if this has seen the rounds here or not but Wired has a video and write-up on the ArKeg which is an arcade cabinet (running MAME, I'd wager) with a kegerator built into the side. Their two major qualms, no cupholders and no drip tray, could be solved quite easily I imagine. They do call the 1/6 bbl keg a corny keg, which as I understand it, is not correct but it could be modified for homebrew fairly easily. So what's the verdict. Anyone gonna drop the $4k or build their own? Looks awesome to me...

Old 10-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

If I'm going to be drinking and playing video games I think I'd rather be sitting down rather than standing at a machine.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5797 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I'd pass.

Give me a sofa, a big screen, a 6 tap keezer, and a console system and I am a happy man.

Oh. Wait. I have that already.

Haven't actually turned on the console in 3 years tho'.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3344 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 2108

A friend of mine homebrews sometimes and he has a vintage Astroids machine in his house. Not sure if it's working ATM, but his brother is very good with electronics and from what I hear, it's not too hard to replace a few caps and resistors to get them running again.

He has mentioned making it into a kegerator and either run Astroids, or install a MAME system so he can choose from tons of classic games.
They're gonna send you back to mother in a cardboard box !

Old 10-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
neumann
Recipes 

Really, you guys? There is something magical about playing arcade games with the correct equipment. Playing Street Fighter with anything less than a full arcade joystick is missing out... Maybe it's just me

Old 10-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I built a MAME arcade a few years ago. It's right next to the arcade in the game room. I don't really see an advantage to having the kegerator in the arcade except for bragging rights.
Secondary:
On Deck: Lake Walk Pale Ale, BCB IPA

Old 10-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I do a lot of arcade stuff. I have a few machines I've collected and quite a few boards. But honestly, I tend to end up just playing MAME using my joysticks:

They're just hacked up $10 USB gamepads.

On the rare occasion I do need a stand up setup (like for a Street Fighter IV tournament), I cobble this together:

I'm working right now on getting some Wireless 360 joysticks together. There's a place near me that does cash tournaments for SFIV and I'd love to be able to use a proper joystick instead of a gamepad (especially since I use charge characters like Blanka and Balrog).

But never have I had the desire to put a kegerator in the MAME cab. A kegerator's footprint is perfect to live side-by-side with the arcade machines. That's good enough for me.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #8
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
I do a lot of arcade stuff. I have a few machines I've collected and quite a few boards. But honestly, I tend to end up just playing MAME using my joysticks:

They're just hacked up $10 USB gamepads.

On the rare occasion I do need a stand up setup (like for a Street Fighter IV tournament), I cobble this together:

I'm working right now on getting some Wireless 360 joysticks together. There's a place near me that does cash tournaments for SFIV and I'd love to be able to use a proper joystick instead of a gamepad (especially since I use charge characters like Blanka and Balrog).

But never have I had the desire to put a kegerator in the MAME cab. A kegerator's footprint is perfect to live side-by-side with the arcade machines. That's good enough for me.
You appear quite young in that picture. I bet you get carded a lot!

Old 10-30-2009, 12:49 AM   #9
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Yeah, that was one of the neighbor kids. Funny how this sort of thing will bring them out of the woodwork.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:34 AM   #10
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
If I'm going to be drinking and playing video games I think I'd rather be sitting down rather than standing at a machine.
Yeah, if I ever get around to building a MAME cabinet (I've had the buttons and encoder for a couple years now!) it's going to be a cocktail cabinet.