Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Substitutions for organic beer recipe?

Old 09-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
switters
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Substitutions for organic beer recipe?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I'm a complete newbie - I have yet to brew my first batch. I just bought John Palmer's How to Brew and am about 3/4 of the way through. On p.136 he gives a recipe for a porter (one of my favorite styles) which involves steeping specialty grains, including crystal 60 L, chocolate and black malt.

Since chocolate porters are among my favorite beers, I really want to make this. However, I'd like to make it using organic ingredients. Seven Bridges Cooperative carries organic brewing ingredients so I checked there to see if they have everything I need.

They have the malt extract and grains listed in John's recipe. However, they do not have the same varieties of hops (Horizon 12% and Willamette 5%) the recipe calls for.

Does anyone know which of the hops listed on their site would be good substitutes for the Horizon 12% and Willamette 5%?

Also, John didn't specify whole or pellet hops. Is that important in this recipe?

Thanks for your help. I'm really looking forward to making my first batch!

Old 09-14-2009, 04:52 AM   #2
Vic_Sinclair
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Whole or pellet is entirely personal preference.

The good news is, you can substitute Willamette with Fuggle or Tettnanger. You can sub Magnum for Horizon, but I don't see Magnum on the page you posted.
I got my info here:
Hop Substitution Chart ::: Brew365

Old 09-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
switters
Recipes 

Thanks, Vic. That list is very helpful.