First year Hops... Size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FxdGrMind

Reaction score
Ok I've gotten great growth and lots of flowers, the hops are starting to form. So my question is, some are the size of my thumb nail some are smaller. How large will they get the first year?

Or is it dependent on type/variety?

it seems that mine are all rather small currently and I'm waiting a few more weeks before I do anything as it's just MID SUMMER here in the PNW and I just can't believe that it's anywhere time for harvest here.

Cheers

My first year range from about the size of my index finger nail to an inch and three quarters.

Or is it dependent on type/variety?

Size and harvest time both depend on the variety and location. Early varieties will be ready in late August in Oregon and Washington.

Size and harvest time both depend on the variety and location. Early varieties will be ready in late August in Oregon and Washington.
It may be even earlier in Oregon. We had four days of over 100f here where I am, and between the sunshine and watering they really had a growth spurt. My Centennials look like they will be ready within a few days as they have lots of yellow powder and smell real nice all ready, some even feeling a bit papery. Any day now i think...

Back