First year grow height

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I've got some first year hops that seems to be doing well. One bine is up to 10' or so.....My trellis is only 10' but I have the ability to lengthen it...At what point do they stop growing up, and expell their energy to bud formation....I need to know how much to add to the trellis....I'm near Atlanta GA by the way...

Last year was my first year and my plants got around 15ft this year my Tettnanger is 20+ and has cones allready. as soon as you see cones forming the growth will slow.

My first year cascades and chinook are approaching 18-20' right now. I have them running up twine attached to a metal eyebolt on top of 8' cedar poles, and I just let out some more twine every day when they get to the top (they're growing 2-6 inches a day...it's amazing).

I got probably 13' or so my first year. Getting close to that now. I dont' plan on letting them grow past that point. My trellis is not really made to add to.

My first year cascade has 3 bines so far. One is probably 20 ft, one is 15ft and one is 6ft. It looks like a 4th one is branching at ground level from the 15ft one. The tall one is at the top of my garage and string. SO i assume it will start wondering around? All the bines are pretty skinny, I was expecting them to spread out a little more.

Yeh--my two first year hops (last year) reached about 15'

I was surprised because ThymeGarden.com had advised that a 6' stake/pole would be ok for the first year.

I bought 4 types from Thymegarden this year and they have really grown. They were planted around 3/30.
Nugget- about 16 ft. Grew 6"/day and was first to put on cones. Lots of them.
Willamette- about 11 ft. slowed down and bushed out. No cones yet.
Cascade- planted late- about 10 ft. but growing 6" a day. Lots of buds, no cones visible. Expect it to grow lots more. 2 big bines.
Centennial- Very poor growth because I put it in a bad place. Need to transplant.
I live in south Texas and these plants take lots of water. I give them a gallon of rain water a day at least. I got them going on Greenlight root stimulator and starter solution from HomeD.

I bought 4 types from Thymegarden this year and they have really grown. They were planted around 3/30.
Nugget- about 16 ft. Grew 6"/day and was first to put on cones. Lots of them.
Willamette- about 11 ft. slowed down and bushed out. No cones yet.
Cascade- planted late- about 10 ft. but growing 6" a day. Lots of buds, no cones visible. Expect it to grow lots more. 2 big bines.
Centennial- Very poor growth because I put it in a bad place. Need to transplant.
I live in south Texas and these plants take lots of water. I give them a gallon of rain water a day at least. I got them going on Greenlight root stimulator and starter solution from HomeD.
I use the Greenlight too from HomeD.
I fgured the fish emulsion would work pretty good along w/the Greenlight.

Hot here too in Central Florida--the soil is real sandy, almost like beach sand, needs nutrients--good for drainage so I use lotsa water since I have a history of overwatering--with the good drainage and planting the rhizomes on mounds, little chance I will overwater.

Best
Dick

i'm glad to hear you all have done so well with first year plants.

my first year magnum and chinook are over 6', centennial, willamette and zeus about 4' (all planted mid april), cascade, brewer's gold, and kent goldings all still very little (planted mid-may)

I have question. My Trellis is only 12ft tall and my first year plants are WELL above that now (not a problem I was anticipating having, but gladly accepted!). How do I get them to slow down? I don't have an option to add length. Is there any harm in letting the extra length just kind of hang down?

I have the twine they're climbing going through an eyebolt at the top of the pole, and left a lot of extra length so that I can let out some more twine when needed and they can keep climbing. I'm trying not to let the lower parts of the bines touch the ground as I'm letting out more twine, to avoid more insect problems and mildew.

If you don't have that arrangement, I'd just let them hang down but try not to let the foliage bunch up too much--you want to have good airflow through the foliage to prevent mildew.

Back