Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > Partial - BBD Brown Biscuit

Old 05-22-2011, 05:59 AM   #91
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyG View Post
-------------------------
Think this is a good idea? Any opinions?
Looks good to me. Give it a shot and see what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
Quick question - how long would it take for this beer to be fully ready and not green? My sister has just requested a beer for her post-wedding picnic, giving me just over 6 weeks' time. I know some browns can still be a little green at that point; is this one of those, or would I be OK if I kegged it around 4 weeks and carbed for 2 or 2.5?
I think you'll be cutting it too close. Prolly end up with green beer. I like to run this for 3-4 weeks before bottling, and then it usually takes another 3-4 weeks before it really starts to come into it's own. I'd go with something like a Hef rather than this if you want quick turn around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletmusketeer View Post

Terrible image, but I'm loving this brew
Cheers!

Old 05-23-2011, 02:45 AM   #92
HopHead24
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This beer is amazing. Get's better with time as the recipe states. I am brewing another 10 gallons as we speak!!! My 2 gallons that were in my rum barrel is amazing....a little strong with rum but will mellow out in time. I'm hording that batch myself!!!

Primary 1 & 2: Burton Ale until 12/6/12

Old 05-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #93
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Shoot - I brewed this up Saturday... Good brew day, with the exception of a minor mistake (it was my first partial-mash, after all!). So, either I'll have this as a possibly green beer, or I'll have to brew up something that'd be ready even quicker this coming weekend. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes out!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #94
CrookedTail
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts

I've been asked to brew a brown ale (along with a hefe) for a wedding in early September. This sounds like a great recipe to try. However I'm going through some ingredients I already have on-hand, and one thing I have is 6lbs of NB Gold LME. Based on the AG recipe I was wondering if this PM version would work if I used the light LME instead of the Amber.

Fermentables
6lbs NB Gold LME
1.5lbs Munich Malt
1lb Special B
.5lb Caramel 60L
.5lb Biscuit

Hops
.75oz Willamette @ 60min
.75oz Willamette @ 15 min

Yeast
S-04

OG: 1.060
SRM: 23

Will this work, or should I just buy some Amber LME?

Old 06-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #95
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, as a follow-up to my earlier posts here:

I brewed the original, partial mash recipe from the very first post in this chain about 5 weeks ago, with the intent to serve it up this coming weekend. It's been in the keg and under pressure for about 2 weeks now - tried out a small sample this past weekend, and it's awesome!!! Definitely still a tiny bit green on the finish - but SWMBO and I are the only ones likely to pick up on that, assuming the extra week or so in the keg doesn't serve to age the green right out.

So ChshreCat, thanks a ton for the recipe!

Old 06-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #96
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedTail View Post
I've been asked to brew a brown ale (along with a hefe) for a wedding in early September. This sounds like a great recipe to try. However I'm going through some ingredients I already have on-hand, and one thing I have is 6lbs of NB Gold LME. Based on the AG recipe I was wondering if this PM version would work if I used the light LME instead of the Amber.

Fermentables
6lbs NB Gold LME
1.5lbs Munich Malt
1lb Special B
.5lb Caramel 60L
.5lb Biscuit

Hops
.75oz Willamette @ 60min
.75oz Willamette @ 15 min

Yeast
S-04

OG: 1.060
SRM: 23

Will this work, or should I just buy some Amber LME?
Looks worth a shot if you wanna use up what you have. Sup to you!

Old 07-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #97
Mcbobs
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I wonder if the all grain version of this recipe would lend itself well to a decoction mash. May be worth a shot.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #98
Backslider
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brewed this on the 19th, just moved to secondary.

This is my first beer ever. I've done a few ciders before and felt I had the equipment/knowledge to try a partial mash as my first beer.

OG: 1.056

I took a hydrometer reading when I moved to secondary, came up at 1.013

The wort smelled amazing while boiling. I moved this to secondary after 9 days, smelled and tasted great at that time too. I'm a huge fan of brown ale and this recipe and all the great feedback convinced me to give it a shot. So far everything's coming up Milhouse!

I can't wait to bottle and taste. Will report back after bottles age for a bit. Thanks for the recipe!

Chshre, you mention in the thread that you like to keep this in primary for a long while.. Do you think I'll experience any negative effects moving to secondary after only 9 days? I plan to leave it there for 2-3 weeks. It's currently sitting at a stable 68-70 f.

Also wanted to ask anyone who's brewed this - Has anyone added anything during secondary? I thought coffee beans might be nice, or something else for a nice depth of flavor. Any suggestions? Obviously I'm keeping it straight and simple for the first batch, but would love some input for future reference.

Last edited by Backslider; 08-29-2011 at 03:01 PM.
plainbrad Likes This 
Old 08-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #99
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I had a pint of mine yesterday - and I think this one's just peaked!

I'm definitely considering doing this one again, either with coffee in the secondary or maybe a little roasted barley in the grist - something to add just a bit of a roasty note to the brew (something along the lines of Smuttynose's Old Brown Dog).

Old 08-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #100
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backslider View Post
This is my first beer ever.
Was my first one too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backslider View Post
Chshre, you mention in the thread that you like to keep this in primary for a long while.. Do you think I'll experience any negative effects moving to secondary after only 9 days? I plan to leave it there for 2-3 weeks. It's currently sitting at a stable 68-70 f.
The main thing that can happen is a stuck/sluggish ferment if the SG wasn't stable before you transferred it. I keep all my beers in primary for about 3 weeks. Nothing wrong with a secondary though, so long as it's done fermenting before you transfer.