A good read on hops and fertilizer use. - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > A good read on hops and fertilizer use.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7314 Times on 6025 Posts

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/cat.../fg/fg79-e.pdf

Most useful if you get a soils test but, also has some good information regarding timing and plant useage of N.P,K.

Another intersting tidbit, I thought, was the suggestions of returning all the bines and leaves to the yard has a pretty notable impact on fertilization needs.

"Food" for thought.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

Quote:
Another intersting tidbit, I thought, was the suggestions of returning all the bines and leaves to the yard has a pretty notable impact on fertilization needs.
The plant equivalent of cannibalism. "Nothing is better for thee than thee."

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
The plant equivalent of cannibalism. "Nothing is better for thee than thee."
Yeah. The read suggests a LOT of nutrient gets tied up in the "dry matter". I guess I have just always shyed away from the idea given the propensity for these plants to take root from cuttings but, then again, that wouldn't be so bad now would it.

I guess this approach suggest that any maintenance trimmings are best just buried back into the soil. Easy enough. I had been struggling with cuttings propogating themselves in the compost pile causing a mixed risk if they weren't removed.

From now on, when I trim, I'll just hand dig a hole and drop the trimmings in.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Jan 2008

I also find the bits on Sulfur and Zinc of interest. Especially the zinc immitating viral tendencies. But, I have yet to find a consumer product for Zinc and non of the chemical fertilizers I use for other plants list Zinc values.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

But hold on!! If the cuttings take root too.....You could end up with too many hops!!!

Oh yes, I see now.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:37 AM   #6
Wild Duk
Recipes 

Mar 2008

So, if I planted my hops using garden soil and some cow manure, how long until I should use some commercial fertilizer, and what type would be good....

There about 5 feet tall now....First year.....

Thanks

Old 05-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
BrewFrick
Recipes 

Feb 2007
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Miracle Grow baby, works on everything!

Old 05-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

May 2008
Springfield, MA
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I also find the bits on Sulfur and Zinc of interest. Especially the zinc immitating viral tendencies. But, I have yet to find a consumer product for Zinc and non of the chemical fertilizers I use for other plants list Zinc values.
Zinc content is listed in some planted tank trace element fertilizers.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:15 AM   #9
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Sandy Hook, MS
Liked 98 Times on 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewFrick View Post
First let me say I'm a believer in Miracle Grow and it's uses. But I have some thoughts/info that might be of use to others. I'll preface by saying all my horticultural knowledge comes from my father whom headed up our family run nursery for 17+ years.

1-MG is most effective when poured/sprayed onto the plants themselves. It has very limited staying power in the soil and is "fertilizer in solution" so it is absorbed through the greenery at very high rates when compared to root contact.
2-It is almost impossible to burn up a plant with MG. See #1 for reference.
3-MG can be used with regular granulated fertilizers.

I prefer to go about 6" outside of the root structure of the hops with a double handfull of 8-8-8 or 13-13-13 after the plants are established in the spring/early summer. In practical terms this means I simply put fertilizer all the way around the base of my hops in a 15-24" diameter circle, carefully working it into the soil. After a week or 10 days has passed I resume Miracle Grow application every 6-11 days.

Just my .02

Schlante,
Phillip

Old 05-25-2009, 02:22 AM   #10
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Sandy Hook, MS
Liked 98 Times on 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewFrick View Post
First let me say I'm a believer in Miracle Grow and it's uses. But I have some thoughts/info that might be of use to others. I'll preface by saying all my horticultural knowledge comes from my father whom headed up our family run nursery for 17+ years.

1-MG is most effective when poured/sprayed onto the plants themselves. It has very limited staying power in the soil and is "fertilizer in solution" so it is absorbed through the greenery at very high rates when compared to root contact.
2-It is almost impossible to burn up a plant with MG. See #1 for reference.
3-MG can be used with regular granulated fertilizers.

I prefer to go about 6" outside of the root structure of the hops with a double handfull of 8-8-8 or 13-13-13 after the plants are established in the spring/early summer. In practical terms this means I simply put fertilizer all the way around the base of my hops in a 15-24" diameter circle, carefully working it into the soil. After a week or 10 days has passed I resume Miracle Grow application every 6-11 days.

Just my .02

Schlante,
Phillip