floating particle phenomena

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fultonhopper

Reaction score
Can't seem to figure this out...hopefully someone will be able to tell me what's going on!

I kegged a batch of steam beer after letting it sit in the seconday for a couple weeks. I let it carbonate for a week or so, and poured a glass to test it. Suspended in the beer were small strange particles that I have never seen before. I could best describe them as snowflake or fuzz in appearance, maybe even pulp-like (see picture)
3532158.jpg

The particles did not settle as the beer sat and were still present after I checked again a couple of days later. The beer otherwise tasted and smelled fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hey im really interested in this because i have the exact same thing going on with mine right now. Its a blonde ale that sat in primary for 6 days and secondary for 7 days. after 7 days in the bottle i poured one and saw those little "snowflake" looking things floating around and i can see a very thin layer of that white stuff lining the bottom in all the rest of the bottles. (looks exactly like fultonhopper's pic)

I was very careful when racking so as not to get any sediment into secondary so i believe that these "flakes" formed in the bottles. The beer tastes fine but i'd really like to be drinking it without the floaties.

Any ideas????

RDWHAHB!!

If it tastes good, and it your still alive the next day I say your fine! :)

I may be way off base, but I work in a chemistry lab and I have seen similar flakes in solutions before. Turns out that they were fragments of filter papers. Did you filter the beer or maybe use paper towels at some point during the process?

I know that sounds crazy but that's what they look like to me.

nope. I am pretty sure that it is not yeast either. The particles are too fine....so fine that outside of the beer, they cannot be noticed. And, after two weeks in the keg, it has not settled out. I'll work on getting a better picture.

Back