What brands of store-bought milk work for making cheese? - Page 5 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > What brands of store-bought milk work for making cheese?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 11-03-2009, 03:33 AM   #41
JeremyCT
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Tempe
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for this thread!

I'm seriously considering making some cheese soon.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #42
Plan9
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Apopka, FL
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I made Mozzarella with Publix store brand whole milk, with the addition of calcium chloride.

Central Florida Home Brewers

Instagram

Old 01-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #43
dlloyd
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Santa Barbara, CA

Have made 8-10 cheeses with Trader Joes organic, replace a pint of milk with a pint of heavy cream, add 1/4tsp calcium chloride, works perfectly. Cheeses made include mozzarella, colby(was amazing), gouda, jack(x3 batches) and cheddar. Picture below (taken with an ultra amazing blackberry camera) is from the jug in my refrigerator, think it is destined for a mozzarella. We usually vary 1% or 2% depending on the cheese.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #44
beretta
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Plain old Kroger's brand works fine. You have to use 1% and add fat back in with heavy cream. 1/16 by weight of cream to total batch length should get you back to 3-4% milk fat (regular milk). I do add a heavy pinch of driveway salt (calcium chloride) to the batch, but I get nice clean breaks everytime!!

<edit>
Oh: you do have to stir in the cream, btw: it first has the tendency to sink to the bottom, then float to the top.....
</edit>

Old 01-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #45
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Pflugerville, Texas
Liked 108 Times on 62 Posts

I like the idea of using 1-2% and adding back the milk fat with cream. I noticed with raw milk, since it's not homogenized, the texture of the finished cheese is much smoother than the homogenized batch I made which seems a bit grainy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 03-30-2010, 07:22 PM   #46
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Pflugerville, Texas

Ugh... I tried to make Mozz using Horizon in the gallon jug (which has worked for me before) and it was a disaster. The label said pasteurized but it was obviously UP. Guess it's off the list.

Quote:

Old 03-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #47
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 123 Times on 95 Posts

I get regular whole milk from Aldi's for $1.99/gal.

After making a mozz I have not been able to make a ricotta.

Do you think I'm getting too much out of the milk when making mozz?

Does anyone know what other ingredients I need to make cheddar?

Old 04-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #48
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Pflugerville, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
I get regular whole milk from Aldi's for $1.99/gal.

After making a mozz I have not been able to make a ricotta.

Do you think I'm getting too much out of the milk when making mozz?

Does anyone know what other ingredients I need to make cheddar?
I haven't had any luck at all making ricotta from whey except when using raw milk.

For cheese like cheddar I would recommend adding a pint of cream to your milk to increase the butterfat content. It will work just fine if it works for mozz...

Quote:

Old 01-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #49
SeraW
Recipes 

Mar 2015
Long Beach, CA
Liked 62 Times on 45 Posts

I know it's an old thread, but this might be relevant to some folks looking.

I made my first mozz the other day and had some issues. I bought Mountain Dairy, the cheaper of the two house brands at Kroger (a.k.a. Food 4 Less in SoCal), thinking that if Kroger brand made the list, and both are listed as just "Pasteurized," that it might work and I'd save 40 cents per gallon. Also on my mind was the store's advertising about "new practices" that keep their milk fresher, so I was skeptical all around that maybe they had switched to Ultra and not labelled it.

My first mozz with Mountain Dairy appeared to fail, and I was afraid I had confirmed my suspicions. It wouldn't form a smooth ball at the end, despite hitting the internal temp of 135 - it stayed grainy no matter how hard I worked it. So I chilled it, went out and bought a Kroger brand gallon, and tried again.

This part is where I screwed up - I also changed the process a bit. At the same point where I said that the Mountain Dairy brand failed, the Kroger brand came together a little better, so I kept heating it up higher. I had to heat it up higher than 135 (I didn't temp it though), but it ultimately formed a smooth ball and made a great pizza, and later a great lasagna, too.

A few days later, I took the Mountain Dairy brand mush, and after cooling it had formed a smooth surface in its container! So now I'm not sure if it would have worked better had I only kept working it.

But I do know one thing: Even though Kroger advertises their "Stays fresher longer" in the stores, their house brand milk still makes a good cheese.

May possibly be that string bass studying, hockey playing, married queer witchy woman your parents tried to warn you about. But you could be thinking of someone else. -Sera

Old 01-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #50
Bonemarrow
Recipes 

Oct 2015
Wichita, Kansas
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This is a non-homogenized lightly pasteurized milk. You can find it in health food type stores.