Oktoberfest Ale Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
So this weekend I performed my first partial mash on an Oktoberfest Ale and thought I'd share my experience. I thought about going to a system like RichBrewer has outlined for partial mashes, but I decided to wait on anything like that and just go to all grain in the future.

The recipe was as follows:

For the mash:
1 lb. Two Row
1 lb. Vienna
1 lb. Caramunich
3 lb. Munich

Supplemented with 3 lb XLDME and 1 lb ADME late in the boil.

The way I did my mash was based on: http://byo.com/feature/986.html

I used a 3 gallon pot, brought ~6 quarts of water to 168F, added all my grain into a huge grain bag, added the grain, and stirred well. The temp was in the upper 150s, added 2 cups of cool tap water and brough it perfectely to ~153F and then stuck it into a turned off oven at 175F. Aftern an hour the oven was down to 125F and my mash was at 150F.

I put a large (7 qt.) colander on top of my brew pot and placed the grain bag onto it and very slowly poured my wort from the mash back through grain followed by ~6/7 quarts of 165F sparge water.

I ended up with ~3.0 gallons of wort with a SG of 1.040, which was about 55% efficiency by my calculations, which I'll take for a partial mash. I topped off to my boil volume, after hot break, began the hour time and added extract late.

The Oktoberfest ale (5.25 gallons 1.054 OG) now is churring away with some Wyeast 1338.

The partial mash in the oven turned out quite well, I have a feeling I'll be doing these more often, especially if I need to use things like Munich/Oatmeal etc. Not to mention having to buy less extract is good, especially since I picked up a grain card at my LHBS and get any grain for $1.00/lb. (just had to buy a $50 card, which I know I'll use).

I'll stop rambling now, just felt like posting, I guess my first partial mash thus far being a success has got me a bit excited.

Congratulations on your first experience! I think you could improve efficiency a bit by using strainer instead of grain bag, it would just make better liquid flow through the grains. What is your fermantation temperature?

I'll have to give that a try for the next batch. I'm fermenting it at a steady 67F in my basement with Wyeast 1338 European Ale....I wanted a nice malty profile for this beer and it sounded like a good fit.

uwmgdman said:
Not to mention having to buy less extract is good, especially since I picked up a grain card at my LHBS and get any grain for $1.00/lb. (just had to buy a $50 card, which I know I'll use).
You can save even more by purchasing in bulk. If you can find someone to split it with you it would be well worth your time. ( 30 to 40 cents per pound savings)

So this weekend I performed my first partial mash on an Oktoberfest Ale and thought I'd share my experience. I thought about going to a system like RichBrewer has outlined for partial mashes, but I decided to wait on anything like that and just go to all grain in the future.

The recipe was as follows:

For the mash:
1 lb. Two Row
1 lb. Vienna
1 lb. Caramunich
3 lb. Munich

Supplemented with 3 lb XLDME and 1 lb ADME late in the boil.

The way I did my mash was based on: http://byo.com/feature/986.html

I used a 3 gallon pot, brought ~6 quarts of water to 168F, added all my grain into a huge grain bag, added the grain, and stirred well. The temp was in the upper 150s, added 2 cups of cool tap water and brough it perfectely to ~153F and then stuck it into a turned off oven at 175F. Aftern an hour the oven was down to 125F and my mash was at 150F.

I put a large (7 qt.) colander on top of my brew pot and placed the grain bag onto it and very slowly poured my wort from the mash back through grain followed by ~6/7 quarts of 165F sparge water.

I ended up with ~3.0 gallons of wort with a SG of 1.040, which was about 55% efficiency by my calculations, which I'll take for a partial mash. I topped off to my boil volume, after hot break, began the hour time and added extract late.

The Oktoberfest ale (5.25 gallons 1.054 OG) now is churring away with some Wyeast 1338.

The partial mash in the oven turned out quite well, I have a feeling I'll be doing these more often, especially if I need to use things like Munich/Oatmeal etc. Not to mention having to buy less extract is good, especially since I picked up a grain card at my LHBS and get any grain for $1.00/lb. (just had to buy a $50 card, which I know I'll use).

I'll stop rambling now, just felt like posting, I guess my first partial mash thus far being a success has got me a bit excited.

Hey bud, I know this post is like 5 years old, but I came across it after looking for some Oktoberfest Ale recipes to draw ideas from. A few questions:

How did it turn out?
Have you changed the recipe for the better since making this one?
How did the Nottingham yeast do?
Did you use light or dark Munich malt?
What hops did you use?

Back