Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Lauter Tun vs False Bottom

Old 06-29-2006, 09:54 PM   #11
Beer Snob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hmmm... my 2 cents...

Well I have to disagree about what was said about the bag or colander. Not that I have used them, but that I dont see much difference. The false bottom I use is nothing but a bit flatter colander. You would have to get the right colander though. Some would be pretty useless. And a steep bag..... really can't see anything wrong with them... some use them in AG and many just opt for them in PMs because of the amount of grain being used.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 06-29-2006, 11:11 PM   #12
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Why wouldn't some sort of a screen on the spout to the cooler work just as well if you batch sparging? I mean thats essentially whats going on with the SS braid anyway. As long as an adequate amount of water can pass through the screen closer to the spigot then there will be no negative pressure in the rest of the braid.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:35 AM   #13
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarson83
Why wouldn't some sort of a screen on the spout to the cooler work just as well if you batch sparging? I mean thats essentially whats going on with the SS braid anyway. As long as an adequate amount of water can pass through the screen closer to the spigot then there will be no negative pressure in the rest of the braid.
Actually the grain bed does a lot of the filtering once you run clear on the wort. You know the husks and all.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:25 AM   #14
NEPABREWER

Recipes 

anyone using pex tubing for their manifolds yet? I know mist new construction uses this for water supply and it even comes in pretty colors (red, white, blue) I am thinking about the switch to AG using a manifold and a gigantor square cooler, but the kettle and burner cost along with having to cook outside is keeping me at bay just for now.
Primary #1 too
Primary #2 busy
Secondary #1 with
Secondary#2 school
Secondary#3 to brew
Bottled and fine: Belgian spiced wheat
Bass Ale in the keg

Old 06-30-2006, 12:24 PM   #15
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost

edit: bags are for steeping. I wouldn't call it a partial mash if it's done in a bag or colander (no offense to you colander users). And I don't want to start a debate about steeping vs. PM... yeah, I know it's technically a PM if you hold a mash temp and expect starch conversion from your grains.

No offense taken, but that simply isn't true about the colander. My first AG system was a 7 gallon bucket (my old primary fermenter) with a plastic colander. I cut the lip off with a utility knife and stuffed it down to the bottom of the bucket, just above the spigot. Instant false bottom .Then I threw an old blanket around it to hold temp. It worked great until I raised enough scratch for a cooler. Once I got a cooler, I couldn't find a colander the right size, so I used a SS braid.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 06-30-2006, 10:47 PM   #16
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarson83
The stainless braid has more surface area so it is less likely to get clogged. If you just put a screen over the end of the spout you will probably get a stuck sparge at some time.

In 12 years I have used everything, false bottom, copper and stainless braid. The braid and the copper work the best but the braid has the advantage of being stainless. False bottoms do give you stuck sparges more often then manifolds.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:28 AM   #17
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've made a manifold out of sch.40 PVC with roughly a million holes drilled in it. Anyone else used this? Can PVC stand up to the heat? I didn't glue the joints so that it can come apart for cleaning. Gonna do a test run with water tomorrow to try it and my cobbled up brewkettle out. Going for mt first AG on Tuesday. Drinking my last extract now. Forty dollars vs, twenty two dollars per batch.......hope this works!

Old 07-02-2006, 02:13 AM   #18
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsmonkey
I've made a manifold out of sch.40 PVC with roughly a million holes drilled in it. Anyone else used this? Can PVC stand up to the heat? I didn't glue the joints so that it can come apart for cleaning. Gonna do a test run with water tomorrow to try it and my cobbled up brewkettle out. Going for mt first AG on Tuesday. Drinking my last extract now. Forty dollars vs, twenty two dollars per batch.......hope this works!
There have actually been a couple threads about this and the answer from the resident experts (myself not included) is "no". If you plan to use plastic then use CPVC, it's rated to withstand mash temps. PVC may leach unwanted chemicals and/or off flavors into your beer. I use copper without any problems.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:14 AM   #19
jaymack
Recipes 

Hi

Going to the link provided, http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/page1.php this seems very simple. What makes this a Partial mash vs an All grain?
I've been Exract w Grains for a year and a half and want to make the leap. Looking for the best (and not necessarily the cheapest) way to make the move

Cheers
J

Old 01-19-2007, 03:19 PM   #20
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1297 Times on 852 Posts
Likes Given: 35

That link is all grain. Partial mash is where you follow the all grain process on a smaller amount of grains and then malt extract is later added to make the total gravity for the batch.