Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blingman questions
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
wildwest450
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,099
Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Blingman questions

I'm teetering on the edge of blowing massive cash on some blingman pots and had a few questions. The main one is do you use the "hybrid" false bottom in your bk? If so, will it strain out pellet hops? Not 100%, but enough to empty kettle without plugging? And for some reason I can't find the pot dimensions? I was looking at the 20 gallon. Does anyone have a 20 and do 5.5 gallon batches with it? I would be doing both single and double batches.


wildwest450 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
TopDog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 145
Default

I have the 20, but do 10 gallon batches. Unless you're brewing some really big beers, you're not going to have much in the way of a grain bed for sparging a 5.5g batch.

As for draining the kettle, I put a ss scrub pad around the drain tube. Works just fine.


__________________
Brew like your head's on fire.
TopDog is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
wildwest450
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,099
Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDog View Post
I have the 20, but do 10 gallon batches. Unless you're brewing some really big beers, you're not going to have much in the way of a grain bed for sparging a 5.5g batch.

As for draining the kettle, I put a ss scrub pad around the drain tube. Works just fine.
Scrubbies work for hop pellets? I thought they were only for leaf hops?
wildwest450 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
Buford
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Buford's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,415
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Blichmann doesn't recommend the false bottom in a boil kettle, just for a mash tun.
__________________
Flying Dutchman Unlimited Ale Works
Buy my crap!


FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion
Buford is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
MNBugeater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MNBugeater's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 979
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford View Post
Blichmann doesn't recommend the false bottom in a boil kettle, just for a mash tun.
+1 dont use their false bottom for boil kettle. But it works incredibly well in the mash tun.

I have their boil kettle screen/filter. Works great with whole leaf. I have had 6 oz of whole leaf in there with no problems. Plugs like a son of a b!itch with pellets. I have yet to find a pellet filter that works as well as the paint strainer bag. To Blichmann's defense, they do recommend using whole leaf hops only with their boil kettle screen.

__________________
On Tap: Blonde Ale, Apfelwein, Cinnamon Apfelwein, Amber Ale, Irish Red
Bottled: Porter, Wheat, Barleywine, Cranberry Apfelwein, Amber Ale
Buy Bugeater Brewery Gear
MNBugeater is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:54 AM   #6
raceskier
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 607
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

OK, I'm tempted by those pots as well. I share the concern of plugging that small screen with pellet hops.

Here's a thought. Has any tried the Blichmann with a Jamil style recirc whirlpool? I'm thinking that the whirlpool would drive the trub/hops into a cone at the center of the pot and that the small screen would be adequate for scavenging relatively clean wort from the periphery.
__________________
Primary: , Boddington's Clone, Mirror Pond w/Marris Otter
Secondary:
Bottled: Fullers ESB Clone
Kegged: Mirror Pond Clone
Drinking: BM's Kona Fire Rock, Dead Guy Clone, Alaskan Amber Alt Clone, Firestone DBA Clone, Magnum/Crystal IPA
Next up: Burton IPA
raceskier is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
MNBugeater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MNBugeater's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 979
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceskier View Post
OK, I'm tempted by those pots as well. I share the concern of plugging that small screen with pellet hops.

Here's a thought. Has any tried the Blichmann with a Jamil style recirc whirlpool? I'm thinking that the whirlpool would drive the trub/hops into a cone at the center of the pot and that the small screen would be adequate for scavenging relatively clean wort from the periphery.
I whirlpool also but it doesnt take much in the way of pellet hops to clog that boil kettle screen.
__________________
On Tap: Blonde Ale, Apfelwein, Cinnamon Apfelwein, Amber Ale, Irish Red
Bottled: Porter, Wheat, Barleywine, Cranberry Apfelwein, Amber Ale
Buy Bugeater Brewery Gear
MNBugeater is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
Buford
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Buford's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,415
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

I still have a bunch of pellets to use, so I 'm thinking a big tea ball (I have a basket looking one that's 4" in diameter) might do the trick.
__________________
Flying Dutchman Unlimited Ale Works
Buy my crap!


FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion
Buford is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
MNBugeater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MNBugeater's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 979
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford View Post
I still have a bunch of pellets to use, so I 'm thinking a big tea ball (I have a basket looking one that's 4" in diameter) might do the trick.
Which is much better than a big tea bag.....
__________________
On Tap: Blonde Ale, Apfelwein, Cinnamon Apfelwein, Amber Ale, Irish Red
Bottled: Porter, Wheat, Barleywine, Cranberry Apfelwein, Amber Ale
Buy Bugeater Brewery Gear
MNBugeater is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:21 AM   #10
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,294
Liked 252 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBugeater View Post
+1 dont use their false bottom for boil kettle. But it works incredibly well in the mash tun.

I have their boil kettle screen/filter. Works great with whole leaf. I have had 6 oz of whole leaf in there with no problems. Plugs like a son of a b!itch with pellets.
Good to know as I have their 20 gallon with a the screen/filter for the BK. I'll stick to whole hops. (MLT is 20 gallon with the false bottom and the HLT is a 'nakid' 20 gallon pot).

To the OP: The dimensions are on their website here: http://www.blichmannengineering.com/...ide_&_data.htm

Did anyone else find it odd that the BK screen/filter has a little copper elbow in the middle of it? I was kind of disappointed that it wasn't stainless like everything else since I'm hoping to go 100% stainless on my setup. I know it's tiny and won't make a difference, still....

Kal



kal is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A few pre-AG questions snipper_cr All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 06-16-2009 08:55 PM
Several Questions. thestingers Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 11-19-2008 11:45 AM
More questions. Don "Ho" Mead Forum 8 01-28-2008 02:29 AM
a few questions saskman Wine Making Forum 1 11-12-2007 08:07 PM
few questions stevecaaster Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 11-08-2007 11:16 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS