corney kegs: pin vs. ball lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amarsh45

Reaction score
Hey,

I've been shopping corney kegs trying to find the best deal. Anyone know of a better deal than either of the 4-packs on this website?
http://www.cornykeg.com/index.asp?category=25114

Anyone purchased from corneykeg.com before? Satisfied?

What's the scoop on pin vs. ball lock? Any suggestions on which is more ideal? Or is there really no difference other than pin lock seems to be less expensive?

If anyone knows of a better deal, let me know!

Cheers

Ball locks are taller and skinnier than pin locks. But the ball lock from the website you are referring to are CONVERTED ball locks, which means they used to be pin locks.
Also, depending on the models, pin locks usually do not have pressure release valve that you can manually open.

If size is not an issue, the consensus is to get whatever you find for cheap, and double the quantity that you think you need, then get the hardware for those kegs.
For me, I needed ball locks to be able to fit 4 kegs in my fridge.

All this has been discussed many times here. You have a lot of information available in the stickies as well.

Have fun building you new set-up!

There is actually info on the corney website explaining everything...

I looked at it for 2 minutes and decides I want the converted ball lock keg because you get the ease of quick release. You also get the pressure valve with the pull ring and you get the shorter size of a pin lock.

I dunno that's just me though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Ball locks have been increasing in price for some time. I almost never see them for less than 30 bucks a piece. I was lucky and found 8 uncleaned cornies for 200 bucks, but I think that is the exception not the rule. I also had to spend 30 bucks on orings at mcmaster so take that into account.

It seems like pinlocks are less popular but I don't know if thats because there is less supply or if homebrewers just kept buying balllocks. Who knows there may be warehouses full of pinlocks ready to be busted out.

Tough decision to make if you are getting into kegging for the first time. Decision gets easier if you have floor area limitation (go ball lock) or height limitations (go pin lock).

I've purchased from cornykeg.com. Excellent service and fast shipping. I bought the "damaged" kegs they some times have on clearance. They are all pressure tested and hold pressure. The only "problem" with them is the plastic handles are worn and they may need some new o rings. But for $14 a piece and a couple of o rings they are cheap and good enough to sit in the keezer!!!

Back