fermenting beer with concentrated wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
I Had a DFH Palo santo the other night and got me to thinking, the slightly, what seemed like a wine flavor at first got me thinking... now im' sure you'd have to change it up to match the Cab or pinot flavors. But how hard would that be? to have a wine and beer ferment into the same wonderful drink?

seeing as i love my wine, not as much as i love my beer though :) thought this would be an interesting idea.

(yes i searched, but i found nothing on this, and just wine yeast into beer)

I don't know anything about wine, but I don't see why you couldn't do it (provided you sanitize the must first, of course).

What I do know is that I had Midas Touch and it tasted too much like weird wine for me to want to finish it.

i've had that beer before. other than the wood taste, it tastes nothing like wine to me. i don't believe it has any grapes, either.

does it taste like wine to you?

Best way to find out is to take that idea and just run with it. Split a 5gal brew into 1gal jugs and try different combos of yeast and pinot/cab concerntrate additions and you're bound to get something good out of it. I have a buddy attempting something similar to DFH Red & White (an amazing beverage, BTW), starting with a Belgian Wit base and adding pinot concentrate in secondary (not sure bout yeast). Will be a few months before I can report back.

I did a beerswap a couple of years ago with someone who worked at a winery, and he did a reisling/wheat beer that was wonderful.

I can't remember who it was!

I believe he simply used some of the must for a part of the water in the beer. Not for the mash, which was done separately, but for the end. I don't remember any of the details, but I remember really loving the beer.

Just finished a 6-er of Palo Santo, son of a vintner, don't recognize any vine-y flavors, lots of malt, lots of alcohol, lots of fuzzy memories, but I honestly didn't drink more than 1 at a time, and think it could benefit from a bit of a white wine like a Pinot Grigio, which would lighten the flavor slightly, add fruity notes, and keep the alcohol just as lethal... and now wishing I had a bottle of each to blend to see if it works...

I have had midas lol, which did indeed taste a bit like wine.
the night i had the palo santo was a "beer tasting" night with SWMBO (long story short, she didn't know about the different kinds of beer till i came along, so once every 2-3 weeks i get a bunch of different kinds). During this tasting, we had palo, indian brown, some rye ale, hair of the dog IPA.. so all the flavors were messing with my mouth, so the first sip i had tasted like wine while the hair of the dog IPA was getting out of the taste buds lol.
so since this never got a "bad" idea with testing, i may have to give this a go! i'm still in my first stages of brewing, but trying to get a little bit of a list going so i don't get stuck :).
Thanks for the insight!

I have had midas lol, which did indeed taste a bit like wine.
the night i had the palo santo was a "beer tasting" night with SWMBO (long story short, she didn't know about the different kinds of beer till i came along, so once every 2-3 weeks i get a bunch of different kinds). During this tasting, we had palo, indian brown, some rye ale, hair of the dog IPA.. so all the flavors were messing with my mouth, so the first sip i had tasted like wine while the hair of the dog IPA was getting out of the taste buds lol.
so since this never got a "bad" idea with testing, i may have to give this a go! i'm still in my first stages of brewing, but trying to get a little bit of a list going so i don't get stuck :).
Thanks for the insight!

Knowing the ABV of DFH's beers I figured you got them mixed up. Besides the Midas Touch thread I linked above, there are actually a ton of threads on that beer, there's a couple clones of it, and iirc there are discusions about using wine and barley together.

I've been wanting to age a beer on cabernet franc grapes for a while, like allagash victor frankenstein. I'm not sure how to go about finding franc grapes though.

Latest posts

Back