Pump Guidance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so I know that March Pumps are essentially THE pump to use for brewing, but I have found a cheap pump on ebay that can handle the usual temps that are seen during the typical brew day.

So I guess my question is why is this pump bad?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DC-12V-Hot-Water-Pump-for-Circulating-System-24-hr_W0QQitemZ320483949980QQcategoryZ57015QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5990388181259557875#ht_4757wt_1114

Cheers

Might be a decent find. The temp rating is hotter than water or wort can even get, so that's good. One thing you might want to check on is the line that says "food standard materials at request". Is that something you have to ask for, and will it make the price go up?

The first downside I see after a quick scanning of the listing is the flow rate of 6.5 liters/minute. That's about 1.7 gallons/minute... if you are just pumping horizontally. The flow will be less than than this when you have to pump it vertically.

Secondly, you will need a 12V DC power supply to drive it.

PS: Lately, people are starting to turn away from the march 809 and towards some pumps from Little Giant for brewing, but... march 809's are probably still the most widely used ones at present.

this thing is puny...look at the dimensions converted

45 mm (W) X 86 mm (L) X 53 mm (H)

equals

1.77 in. (W) X 3.38 in. (L) X 2 in. (H)

ID Input is .4 in.
ID Output is .24 in. X .35 In. (whatever that means....must be square??)

look at the video and you will see what I mean

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Requires a 12v DC power supply (this alone is a deal killer IMO)
2. Generally not enough power. The specs indicate that the flow rate is only about 1.5 gpm at ZERO head pressure. That's pretty wimpy IMO and essentially renders it worthless for a home brewing application.

well seeing the video just makes the decision simple. Thanks for pointing out the errors of my ways. though which model Little Giant are people using.

Latest posts

Back