Cold steep Carafa III, how much to turn 6 gallons black?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixs4r

Reaction score
I will be doing 12 gallons of an IPA recipe I whipped up last night. Want to turn half of it black, but only have 1 mash tun. Did a tiny bit of research on cold steeping, I think it might be the way to go. Don't really want any flavor from the grains, just the color.

How many pounds should I use? I will also be adding 1.5# of corn sugar to the fermenter after primary fermentation is done, figured I'd boil up the black liquid from the grains with the sugar, cool and throw in after fermentation is done. Any thoughts?

I do know a little of the carafa III goes a long way. For a cold seep, I don't know how long you should leave it for. Maybe an hour maybe two.

I used .5lbs during the last 10 mins of my black ipa and it got dark. I had the benefit of heat though.

If you want to use even less grain to get color you could grind the grain into a powder and add that. I would say you could get whatever amount of water you want to add and then add the ground up carafa to get the color you wanted? Dont know if that is the best way to do it, hopefully someone else can chime in

I've done cold steep for Black IPA in the past. Use the same amount as you would in any recipe to get to the SRM you desire. I cold steeped overnight.

I cold steep a pound of carafa special overnight and add it to the boil.

deep, dark, black color, just a nice hint of roastiness, plays nice with "C" hops and Simcoe hops.

I believe phoenix means the boil is over and the batch is already split but not fermenting and wants to add color post boil.

Phoenix, forgot to ask this earlier. Why are you adding sugar after fermentation? Are you taking about bottling?

Back