Carboy cap or drilled bung????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cable Guy

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but here I go. Is there any benefit to having a drilled bung or stopper as opposed to having a 2 hole carboy cap?? I've got both and have noticed that with the stopper, during fermentation, the stopper will rise a bit. I now have a couple of caps for my 6.5 fermentors and am going to give one a try on my brew this weekend. From what I understand about the topic, which is limited, the cap gives you the option of having a blow off tube if needed where the stopper will not.
Anything other than that??
Thanks guys, please be kind.

:eek:

You can also use carboy caps as part of a siphon set-up.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2910

Cable Guy said:
This may be a stupid question but here I go. Is there any benefit to having a drilled bung or stopper as opposed to having a 2 hole carboy cap?? I've got both and have noticed that with the stopper, during fermentation, the stopper will rise a bit. I now have a couple of caps for my 6.5 fermentors and am going to give one a try on my brew this weekend. From what I understand about the topic, which is limited, the cap gives you the option of having a blow off tube if needed where the stopper will not.
Anything other than that??
Thanks guys, please be kind.

:eek:

Some people manage to push the drilled bungs all the way into the carboy. I suspect they could be using too small a bung, but you definitely won't have that problem with the cap.

-a.

ajf said:
Some people manage to push the drilled bungs all the way into the carboy. I suspect they could be using too small a bung, but you definitely won't have that problem with the cap.

-a.
I had to laugh at this because I actually ripped the ferm lock out of the bung it was wedged so tight into the carboy. I'm leaning toward using caps, they seem easier and more accomodating.

Back