Calculating efficiency with Promash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidkrau

Reaction score
I am a new user of Promash and I'm not sure I know what I'm doing. I recently brewed an Aussie Light Ale all grain. The brewing sparge and boil went without a hitch. After bringing the volume of the wort up to 5 gals the SG was 1.040. Promash says that the SG should be 1.038 - 1.054. The only Sg that I pluged into the program was the SG after I brought the vol up to 5 gals ie 1.040. I don't feel comfortable with the program yet. What other numbers are you supposed to plug into the program. Does 68% efficiency sound right when you hit the lower SG limits.

the only numbers you will need for efficiency, given that grain bill and extract ptotential are already in ProMash, is volume of wort and SG of wort at that volume. It doesn't matter if these numbers are taken before or after the boil. But it should be the volume in the kettle and not the volume in the fermenter since there are some losses when transferring to the fermenter.

Kai

davidkrau said:
Promash says that the SG should be 1.038 - 1.054.
Were you looking at the style guidelines that give a range for the OG? Once you put your grain bill in and set your expected efficiency Promash will give you the exact OG that you should achieve at that efficiency. You then plug in the actual OG that you measure (in the kettle is best, as Kai points out) and Promash will tell you the actual efficiency you achieved.

Latest posts

Back