Is your ibu calculation affected by...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose123

Reaction score
Is your ibu reading affected by your total water volume boiled if you still end up with a 5 gallon batch?? So if I use 7.5 gallons or 8 gallons and still end up at the end of a 90 min boil with five gallons does it make a difference??

What about the hops you add at flame out or last 15 mind is it affected at different ratios

What about the hops you add at flame out or last 15 mind is it affected at different ratios

No, not really. Hops oils isomerization is more a function of time than of anything else, including wort gravity. The difference in IBUs in a 1.040 wort vs a 1.060 wort would be negligible, if there is any difference at all. But at 15 minutes or at the end of the boil, there are few IBUs anyway due to the short boil time of the wort.

Then how do you get a true ibu reading if the late hop additions do not make much of a difference. I used the ibu caluclator but they all suggest that the final additions make a pretty good impact. Help???

Late additions contribute more aroma and flavor than they do bitterness. Would you try to pin down IBU's contributed from dry hops? No. I use flameout hops myself and don't bother trying to incorporate them into my IBU calculations. If you have an efficient cooling process, the temperature will drop very rapidly so it's kind of a mute point.

My norm for an average gravity beer (OG 1.040-1.050) is 30% utilization at 60 min but that is for my process... Its different for everyone... I do add my later hop additions to my ibu's...

Back