Is A$$ and **** really that offensive? (CAREFUL! Bad words in this thread)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleHole

Reaction score
Just need to ask if typing the word A$$ or **** really is that offensive to people. I mean we are all beer drinking and brewing adults (maybe not). I have never met anyone that brews beer or drinks beer for that matter that does not drop the occaisonal F-bomb. I read post after post were people spell out **** or A$$. Maybe I am on my own here but really, is A$$ ,**** , & FUCT really that bad?:rockin:

dont bother me none, but then again I as in the Navy for 5 years and am a firefighter now . . . just dont say it around my kid and I could give a ****

I think it's a bit odd that a place that really should only be frequented by adults blanks out certain pieces of vulgar language. It doesn't bother me at all, but I don't really care either way, since it's still obvious what is meant, even with a bunch of asterisks. In fact, sometimes that makes it funnier.

A curse here and there is fine with me, but when the only adjective you have in your vocabulary is the F word, it starts to bother me. It also depends on the company.

And besides, I don't think ass is filtered here.

Not that I'm offended by those words, as I use them myself in speech. But in writing, they just seem so unprofessional, esp. "fuct". Think about new members who come on here and want good advice. Do you think they will take someone seriously who is cursing left and right? That said, if it is in the forum on "ramblings", then that is a diff story. Just my opinion.

MIght open up a can o' worms and it could get out of hand with the language.

I think of it more this way...

It's not that those words are necessarily so offensive. It's just a courtesy to people who might be reading the forum at work, or in a room at home where their kids are, etc.

This particular site has some places explicitly set aside for more "adult" content, but I think it's reasonable for people to expect the rest of the site to be free of that sort of thing.

Although cursing in real time has its purposes, I really don't see any reason to put it in writing.

Curse words are used to intensify language, and sometimes, they're the easiest and most straighforward way to show strong emotion. Also, there are definitely certain phrases in which only one word will do, such as "**** happens."

Certainly, there are more and less appropriate places for cursing in writing. You wouldn't want to use them in a scholarly essay, or in a scientific article in a peer-reviewed journal. But in a more casual forum, I think they're fine. I do think the points about looking at the forum at work and with family around are quite valid, however.

I talk like a ****ing sailor. At work there is no politically corrections, and everyone says whats on their ****ing mind. All the ****ing time too.

So IMHO no, ASS and **** are no offensive...well not to me anyways.

Its not about whats offensive to ME, Im not offended by anything...But you still got to respect other people. There are Monks and Nuns that brew and I wouldnt want to say, "**** **** ****er ****tard" in front of them.

Torben Ulrich said:
Its not about whats offensive to ME, Im not offended by anything...But you still got to respect other people. There are Monks and Nuns that brew and I wouldnt want to say, "**** **** ****er ****tard" in front of them.

well.....someone will always be offended by something you do. Im sure atheist are offended by monks and nuns for preaching something they don't agree with.

The thing is, Ive become so used to using every variation of the word F*CK, I don;t even realize it anymore. So sh*t and ass don;t even register for me.

F*CK YOU, YOU F*CKING F*CK......lol I think that about covers it just kidding. If I offend you, most of the time I didn't do it intentionally, so I would apologize.

But then I would just f*ck up and say it again by without thinking, and would have to apologize again. Its a vicious cycle.

Cursing is something that I am not offended by. I can curse up a storm myself; however it's probably proper forum etiquette to refrain from cursing as much as possible. Even in my everyday life, I'm a bit more careful about what I say out loud. A couple of years ago, before my daughter was even 2 years old, she picked up on how and when to suddenly yell out F**K! And believe me she was good at it. It led to some rather embarassing moments; like the time she cursed a photographer up and down when we wanted to have some pictures taken of her; or the time she cursed Santa instead of telling him what she wanted for Christmas. I thank God, she got over that; but I learned there are better ways to express myself.

I'm not easily offended- but I work at a hospital and with elderly people in their homes, and I'm careful not to curse. Although, my office mate has heard me curse at times, I'm sure.

About a month ago, the hospital administrator came into my office and asked me to take a walk with her to her office. Uh oh- either they are cancelling my program, or I'm in trouble. The only thing I could think of was that maybe I dropped the F-bomb in front of a patient or something. Certainly possible, but not likely. Turns out she wanted to talk to me about an office space issue.

I think it's true, too, that even though you guys swear, it's still "unseemly" in women. Of course, when I was in the Army a million years ago, the women in the motor pool could outcurse anyone, and I stayed pretty far away from them as they were scary!

Seems like anything its the intent not the words, as long the words are used in social settings I think they are harmless. Still I get weirded out when people (other than myself of course) use them around the kids.

Yooper Chick said:
I'm not easily offended- but I work at a hospital and with elderly people in their homes, and I'm careful not to curse. Although, my office mate has heard me curse at times, I'm sure.

About a month ago, the hospital administrator came into my office and asked me to take a walk with her to her office. Uh oh- either they are cancelling my program, or I'm in trouble. The only thing I could think of was that maybe I dropped the F-bomb in front of a patient or something. Certainly possible, but not likely. Turns out she wanted to talk to me about an office space issue.

I think it's true, too, that even though you guys swear, it's still "unseemly" in women. Of course, when I was in the Army a million years ago, the women in the motor pool could outcurse anyone, and I stayed pretty far away from them as they were scary!

Did the two of you accidentally kiss?;)

From a practicality standpoint, it's just a feature that the forum software has the ability to turn on or off. Since there is no practical way to keep out those who are under 13, (see the Children's Online Protection Act (COPA) unbelievable as it may seem this law is supposed to protect the youth of America from pr0n), turning the feature on provides some evidence of diligence.

ahhh Social Conservatism. I'm having a Fckn drink.

The Christians are one of the main groups that F*CKED UP this world!!! Too many double standards...They are the ones (Vatican/Bible) who say NO to birth control which leads to many religious/superstitious peoples still having sex and a zillion babies with no means of raising/feeding them all.

Throw the Bible back in their faces and they're dumbstruck...well it says right here that's it's better to place your sperm in the belly of a whore than to put your sperm on the ground (masterbate)...and by the way...protitution is illegal...closed that loop nicely, didn't they? Did you ever notice how they are the closet pervs?

What people dislike is how "curse/swear" words are used. I don't think any word should be banned or bleeped out, especially on TV. It's REALITY afterall.

I rather enjoyed watching Ozzy curse up a storm when I lived in Germany where MTV did not bleep out a word! Why is that? Did you ever notice how some words get past censors...they're in Spanish!!!

Our Puritan ethics? Sorry to tell everyone, but when was the last time you met a Puritan?

As for censorship on TV and such I think it's the parents responsibility to censor their TV, not the other way around...the real reason for the bitrh of cable/sat dish.

I don't feel offended by any word. Words by themselves are just words.

Some/many people are offended by certain words, especially the dreaded "N" word...ooowww!!! Here's an enlightening/interesting link that may clear up your ignorance:

http://www.aaregistry.com/african_american_history/2420/******_the_word_a_brief_history

Notice the different forms for the word "black". Hell, how many people know that "Casablanca" means "White House"? It's things like that that make word origins and languages interesting.

Well, have you ever watched BET and heard what black comedians call white people? I wonder why crackers don't riot in the streets and burn neighborhoods down to complain about some of the words we're called? Afraid of being called a racist? Hell, we're all racist! We are from a race. Voila!!

"Homophobic" is another misnomer that everyone uses. "Homo" means "same" and "phobic" is "fear". That translates into "fear of the same". What's that got to do with gays? Now, I could agree with the term "Homosexualphobe". That's something altogether different in my book of daffy-notions.

For what it's worth, I'm not white either. White is a color. I don't consider my self Caucasian either as that denotes partial Asian.

I'm not complaining, just trying to get some of you to think a bit about words...whether thay are common usage or future banned ones.

Incidently, I prefer to call myself an European-American (dammit, I want my hyphen too!!):D

homebrewer_99 said:
I'm not complaining about any of that since I prefer to call myself an European-American (dammit, I want my hyphen too!!):D

AMEN BROTHER!

When we read Catcher in the Rye in 10th grade, our English teacher told us "Just to warn you, there may be some swear words in this book that may be offensive. If they are, just skip over them"

I work at construction sites, where you cannot get anyone to listen to you unless your speech is laced heavily with profanity, so it bothers me none. Besides, most of the words that are filtered here can be heard uncensored on just about any television show nowadays, esp on Comedy Central.

Back