Possible stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am making the Cascade Pale Ale from Midwest. Unfortunately I left the kit sit around a bit with my yeast in the refridgerator and didn't get to do the brew until about a week after the date on the yeast ran out (White Laps California Ale). I also abused my poor yeast by letting them warm up to room temperature, then wasn't able to brew and had to put them back in the fridge for one day until I could brew. I then left them warm up again to room temp and pitched the yeast.

The airlock has not bubbled at all. When I push down on the lid the piece inside the airlock raises up, leading me to believe I have a complete air tight seal. I have never had this problem before...

When I look inside the bucket there is plenty of krausen on top...which makes me think the yeast was fine. It is definitely not fermenting vigorously though. I pitched the yeast last Saturday, that's 9 days ago and it hasn't bubbled in the air lock once. I did not create a yeast starter due to lack of equipment but I just ordered a yeast starter kit. It does have a slight co2 smell though so I think it's doing something.

I was going to take a gravity reading but there's so much krausen on top I figured I would wait a bit and see if anything happens.

I'm planning on waiting a few more days, then taking a gravity reading and if it hasn't fermented at all I plan on adding a packet of SafeAle dried yeast...what do you guys think? I am not overly worried here, just confused I guess.

If you have thick Kraeusen, it is doing fine. It's either finished fermenting or you have a leak in a seal somewhere. After 9 days, fermentation, I would not expect much activity in the airlock since the yeast has probably completed converting most of the sugar.

Take a gravity reading. Providing the beer is in an enclosed container, it will not hurt to break the foam on to to get a reading.

I really suspect you have a leak. Question: when you press down on the top of the sirlock, does this also put pressure on the lid of the fermenter? It only takes a small leak and you could be sealing it when you press on the airlock.

When I press on the airlock it makes the piece inside the airlock rise...it also appears to be putting a little bit of pressure on the lid. I've never seen a fermentation like this...I definitely need to take a gravity reading but I'm still suspecting something weird is going on. It's sitting in my room because my basement is too cold, so I've been watching it since day 1. It never did any sort of vigorous fermentation...very very slow.

Do the lids on the plastic fermenters wear out all the time causing it to not seal correctly?

Well I have since racked to another fermenter and checked the gravity, it indeed was fermenting. I guess I have a leak in the bucket/lid/or o-ring on the lid. First I'm gonna try the o-ring, if that doesn't work I'll replace the lid. The pale ale is now sitting in a fermenter with 2 oz of hops for dry hopping.

Just wait till day 10-14, take a gravity reading, realize you're right on target, and then bottle and enjoy!

Back