How long does sanitizer last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbaK

Reaction score
After sanitizing equipment, bottles, etc, how long is it good for? Particularly the no-rinse sanitizer...

How long can you keep a sanitizing solution? I mixed up 3-4 gallons when I did my cooking.. I put the lid on the bucket when completed. Can I uses this solution to clean my thief and hydro to take a reading 2 weeks later, or chuck it and mix up something fresh? I don't really want to mix up a batch to do a hydro check. What is a good way to do that?

Iodine base chemical are only useful for a short time.
PH based cleaners should last longer.

2 weeks seems risky to me.
That said some of the shelf sanitisers are ready diluted and have a long lead time.

If you post the specific details of your sanitiser then we can help more.

I left idophor in a 5 gallon bucket of tap water for a few weeks. I don't know if the plastic started breaking down or it was the idophor. By the time I dumped it out, it was darker in color and had a haze to it. Additionally, it developed a strong chemical smell though that may just be because of having the lid on for so long.

I bought some Star San to keep in a spray bottle to spray my taps with. Hopefully that lasts a bit longer.

If your saving starsans pick up some distilled water to make it w/. My understanding is hard water ruins its shelf life.

I left idophor in a 5 gallon bucket of tap water for a few weeks. I don't know if the plastic started breaking down or it was the idophor.

The iodophor dude said on the BB podcast that diluted iodophor loses efficacy in about 8hrs in suboptimal conditions, and something like 24 hrs in optimal conditions. So I considider it a short-life sanitizer.

This is the sanitizer info...

Oxygen based cleanser/sanitizer so no rinsing is required. Great at removing stains from carboys and equipment. The ONLY cleaner/sanitizer you need for bottles, corks, caps and all your other equipment. 1 tablespoon per gallon of WARM water makes the solution. Then just wash and drain. Choose from an 8 oz jar or 5 lb pail.

Why Easy Clean (One Step)?

* Oxygen: High oxygen level provided through a dry form of hydrogen peroxide minimizes contact time necessary for Easy Clean (One Step) to cleanse.
* No Rinsing: Minimizes the risk of recontamination by maintaining contact with the clean surface.
* Aeration: Since there is no rinsing, the supplied oxygen gives the yeast an initial boost.
* Non-Staining: Unlike other no-rinse cleansers, Easy Clean (One Step) won't stain skin, clothing or surfaces.
* Cleansing: Provides good detergency for light duty cleaning.
* Non-Toxic: Not harmful to the user in any way.
* Environmentally Sound: Contains no ecologically harmful substances and quickly biodegrade's into naturally occurring substances.
* Usage Requirements: One Tablespoon per gallon of warm water and soak or rinse equipment with solution.
* Contains no harmful ingredients so Easy Clean (One Step) is an ideal no-rinse cleanser.
* For best results, Easy Clean (One Step) requires a 30 second contact time.

What is the difference between a sanitizer and a cleanser?

* In the U.S.A., the word sanitizer is a legal term defined by the Environmental Protection Agency. In order for a product to be called a sanitizer in promotional literature or on its packaging, that product must be approved by the EPA, assigned a registration number, and have an open file maintained with the EPA. Unless a company would like to invest an enormous amount of capitol in this process (or use another company's product through a process called "sub-registration"), they may not call their product a sanitizer.
* If you purchase a bottle of bleach from the grocery store, unless it shows an EPA registration number on the front of the label, it is not a sanitizer. However, it will certainly be a good cleanser (although somewhat hazardous, not environmentally sound, and it will require rinsing).
* Is Easy Clean (One Step) a sanitizer?
* Read the above question and draw your own conclusions. Easy Clean (One Step) has been used with excellent results since 1992.
* For best results, Easy Clean (One Step) requires a 30 second contact time.
* If you feel you must sanitize equipment and bottles for added protection after cleaning, use your favorite sanitizer or use 2 oz of sodium or potassium metabisulphite and mix with 1 gallon of water. Coat all surfaces and remove excess by draining or let drip dry. There is no need to completely dry sulphite solution before using equipment or filling bottles with wine or beer.

I got my kit from Quality Wine and Ale Supply.

I have read that before, but ask around and see how many here actually trust what it says and relies on it as a sanitizer.
StarSan and Iodophor are the most trusted no-rinse sanitizers and many will use bleach if mixed properly and rinsed well......
I personally feel One Step is a decent cleaner, but not my sanitizer of choice.

As far as the Iodophor goes, after you sanitize your equip, how long will the sanitizing treatment remain active before you need to bottle or use the sanitized item?

what is a proper bleach mixture? What type of bleach? (obviously not spring scented or any other flavor). I'm not going to chance it with my leftover.. I need to mix up a small amount to do a hydro check... I saw some use a spray bottle...

As far as the Iodophor goes, after you sanitize your equip, how long will the sanitizing treatment remain active before you need to bottle or use the sanitized item?

It is a "wet sanitizer", so as long as the surface remains wet, you are good. Once dry, you are susceptible to problems.

what is a proper bleach mixture? What type of bleach? (obviously not spring scented or any other flavor). I'm not going to chance it with my leftover.. I need to mix up a small amount to do a hydro check... I saw some use a spray bottle...

REVVY, You out there?! I am trying to find the link to the podcast about that. Unscented bleach, the cheap stuff, is what you want to use. I am looking for the ratio....

Give this a listen. It will answer all your questions.... http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

Bleach-based sanitizer may or may not corrode any metal parts (springs?) in the spraybottle if it's left in there.

But the answer to the bleach mixture question (based on the podcast already referenced) is 1 oz cheap/unscented bleach, 5gal water, 1oz vinegar in that order.

Bleach-based sanitizer may or may not corrode any metal parts (springs?) in the spraybottle if it's left in there.

But the answer to the bleach mixture question (based on the podcast already referenced) is 1 oz cheap/unscented bleach, 5gal water, 1oz vinegar in that order.

I want to reiterate what fratermus said. Bleach, then water,......THEN vinegar. IF YOU MIX VINEGAR AND BLEACH FIRST, THE FUMES WILL JUMP UP AND SMACK YOU IN THE KISSER!!!!! NOT GOOD.

Back