American Porter Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, wow. I brewed this a month ago, bottled it on December 12. It's now 9 days in the bottle and I think this is already the best porter I've ever had. Rich chocolate and coffee flavors, very well balanced, just the right level of sweetness. It finished at 1.022 so an ABV of 6.4%. Completely successful in every way possible, one of the better beers I've ever brewed.

Okay, wow. I brewed this a month ago, bottled it on December 12. It's now 9 days in the bottle and I think this is already the best porter I've ever had. Rich chocolate and coffee flavors, very well balanced, just the right level of sweetness. It finished at 1.022 so an ABV of 6.4%. Completely successful in every way possible, one of the better beers I've ever brewed.

That's exactly where mine finished, I mashed at around 155.

Just got 5 gallons of this into the fermenter @ 1.074 SG ... did a PM, so the slightly high OG is likely due to splitting the base malt 5# grain/4# XLDME. House smells great, I can't WAIT to try this... I bumped up the roasted barley to 2oz, to hopefully make it a bit of a "coffee porter" without using actual coffee, but other than that, followed the recipe.

Just got 5 gallons of this into the fermenter @ 1.074 SG ... did a PM, so the slightly high OG is likely due to splitting the base malt 5# grain/4# XLDME. House smells great, I can't WAIT to try this... I bumped up the roasted barley to 2oz, to hopefully make it a bit of a "coffee porter" without using actual coffee, but other than that, followed the recipe.

I thought of doing the same thing, let us know how it turns out.

I thought of doing the same thing, let us know how it turns out.

Well, I forgot the Flaked Barley... not sure exactly how that will affect it. I had crushed the whole grain bill, and then threw that in a bag... of course, come brew day, I just used the crushed grain in the bag and forgot about the flaked barley that hadn't needed to be crushed. C'est la vie... RDWHAHB. :)

Brewing this tonight, except using Golden promise instead of 2-row. My LHBS was out of M.O. and 2-row (both organic and normal) as unbelievable as that sounds.

Well, I forgot the Flaked Barley... not sure exactly how that will affect it. I had crushed the whole grain bill, and then threw that in a bag... of course, come brew day, I just used the crushed grain in the bag and forgot about the flaked barley that hadn't needed to be crushed. C'est la vie... RDWHAHB. :)

Sorry, one more thing... anyone want to take a stab at how this might affect the finished product? I'm thinking less head retention and maybe a little mouthfeel, but with the malto-dextrin I'm not even sure if that's an issue...

Brewing this tonight, except using Golden promise instead of 2-row. My LHBS was out of M.O. and 2-row (both organic and normal) as unbelievable as that sounds.
I hit 1.070 again using the same recipe as I did before (other than the Golden Promise), 5 gallons into the carboy. Pitched a packet of Safale US-05 after chilling and hoping for good things to happen again this time.

Sorry, one more thing... anyone want to take a stab at how this might affect the finished product? I'm thinking less head retention and maybe a little mouthfeel, but with the malto-dextrin I'm not even sure if that's an issue...

Bueller?

Gotta say I'm impressed with the Notty... my first time using it, and it chewed through the krausen in 72 hours! Still gassing the airlock, but krausen has already pretty much fallen at this point... yeesh. And I thought WLP001 was a beast...

Wow. I mean WOW. This is a FANTASTIC beer. I am sad that the keg is probably gonna kick soon. This is a definite brew over. This blows my Oatmeal Stout out of the water! I was gonna bottle some to enter in some comps, but I don't think it's gonna last long enough to get my BMBF constructed. I guess I'll just have to place another BMW order! To anyone onthe fence, don't think, just brew this recipe! Great job Ed!!! Thanls for sharing! Prost!

I agree with all the positive sentiments. I brewed this on 11/7, drinking it now, bottles and on tap. It's amazing. Mine turned out to be about 8.3%, so maybe more like an imperial porter, but fantastic nonetheless. Kudos to Bee cave and EdWort!!!

What a way to ring in the new year... first AG attempt! Everything went way too smoothly! :ban:

Hit about a 72% eff. - a little lower than I'd hoped but can't wait to try this brew nonetheless.

Some pics (sorry for the large sizes)...

No, the gravel was not an ingredient...
IMG_3598.jpg

First runnings - mmm, dark...
IMG_3595.jpg

Right before flame out...
IMG_3600.jpg

And finally, the fruits of my labor... Expected more krausen, but maybe that's just the way it goes.
IMG_3605.jpg

I'm going to brew up this bad boy next. It's been awhile since I've brewed and downsized my equipment quite a bit. Still have the urge to make something.

This is a very good recipe. I need to make another batch, just emptied my last keg!

I've bought many commercial 5~6 dollar porters that couldn't touch this one! 20 or so people who I've shared with will also attest to that.

I need to move up to 10 gallon batches of this one!

My second batch is just about ready to drink as I prepare to brew my third batch of this for my local club competition.

Bueller?

Gotta say I'm impressed with the Notty... my first time using it, and it chewed through the krausen in 72 hours! Still gassing the airlock, but krausen has already pretty much fallen at this point... yeesh. And I thought WLP001 was a beast...

So, three weeks later and we're stuck at 1.028 ... I did this as a PM, subbing 6 lbs of base malt for 4lbs XLDME. Would the half malt extract account for ~7-8 points higher than what Ed finishes at? My OG was 1.074, so we're at 6% ABV... sounds about right. It's been cool in the basement where I have it fermenting, but not cold... 66ish. Seemed like it would be perfect... the other thing I noticed is that there are "floaties" left over on the top... not anything infected looking, just little bits of krausen or something that never fell. Should I re-rack or just wait until they fall? never had this happen before...

I DEFINITELY could have had a liter or two of the hydro sample... DAYUMM...

I brewed this all grain today and was planning on following the recipe exactly as the original but as usual I made a slight mistake. I added 16oz instead of 8oz Malto Dextrin!
My OG was 1.075 for 5.5gal collected. I estimated a 80% efficiency from my batch sparge.
So what do you think the 16oz of Malto Dextrin will do to my beer? I have never used it before and I am hoping it won't make it too sweet.

So, three weeks later and we're stuck at 1.028 ... I did this as a PM, subbing 6 lbs of base malt for 4lbs XLDME. Would the half malt extract account for ~7-8 points higher than what Ed finishes at? My OG was 1.074, so we're at 6% ABV... sounds about right. It's been cool in the basement where I have it fermenting, but not cold... 66ish.

Still would appreciate feedback on the FG here... it hasn't moved, and I want to rule out a stick before bottling. Since Ed himself said FG of 1.021-22 wasn't unusual given the malto, does anyone think that 4LB XLDME substitution would have bumped that another 6 points-ish? I'm not sure what's considered "normal" overage for DME as opposed to AG wort... thanks!

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes

Add 8 oz. of Malto Dextrin to boil at 20 minutes

QUOTE]

EdWort, what would be the effect on the body, etc. if I raised the mash temp to something like 156 or ? and omitted the malto dextrin?

Thanks!

I mashed at 156 and the effect was a final higher gravity leaving a little more residual sugar which was good. I would not omit the maltodextrin it does great things. It's going to lend body too your beer not sweeten.

Just finished an extract plus grain steep of this. Mine is a touch different as I added .5oz of Cascade at the 30 minute mark in hopes of having a touch more bitterness (think SN's Porter).

Little nervous as I have it in a 6 gallon BB with a normal air lock.

My OG came in at 1.073ish.

We leave on a cruise next Saturday and I hope to come back to something around 1.021ish so I can keg and start bulk conditioning.

I can't wait for this beer!

Tried to brew 4 gallons of this today, and pretty much everything went wrong.

Realized (its sunday, and the LHBS is closed) that I had no chocolate malt after already milling the rest of the malt, so had to roast my own.

Realized I had no northern brewer, so had to sub in my home grown chinook.

Ended up with about 3.8 gallons.... at 1.087... used an ounce of cascade instead of a 1/2 ounce because I could tell it was going to come out high. Smells good though.

Well guys, my FG is around 1.026-8ish.

This is after 21 days of primary around 63*.

Taste is green and a touch on the sweet side, but nothing crazy.

Go ahead and keg it?

Well guys, my FG is around 1.026-8ish.

This is after 21 days of primary around 63*.

Taste is green and a touch on the sweet side, but nothing crazy.

Go ahead and keg it?

Mine's stuck at 1.028 as well... tastes incredible, tiny bit sweet.... I'm going to be bottling tomorrow. I'm chalking it up to PM and malto... this is a sweet recipe anyway...

made my first allgrain using this recipe with modifications based on other porters, looking back i dont know why i left out the flaked barley from it, but i did i guess

12lb 2 Row english
1lb Chocolate Malt
1lb Crystal 40
0.5lb roasted barley

0.5oz northern brewer & 1oz EKG at 60mins
0.5oz EKG at 15 mins
nottingham yeast

just secondaried it today, seems good!

heh yup, i see what you mean now, its only 4 oz of RB in the beecave recipe, but i kind of just tried to choose things from a bunch of similar recipes. i am a big fan of dry powerful roasty porters and stouts though, when i taste it in a few weeks ill let you know how it turned out!

holy smokes. OG was 1.070 and the notty fermented it down to 1.016. Nottingham has got to be the best bang for the buck out there. Can't believe how good the hydro sample tasted at 1 week.

hehe finally tasted it, i do notice a powerful roast, a big boozy smell on this but very pleasant in every way, and its still a bit green right now.. but i had to try it. im very happy with this! thanks ed!

how old is it? Mine is only about 2 weeks. This waiting sucks.

i can understand what you mean, lol. im waiting on the haus pale ale i just bottled yesterday, i cant wait to crack open that first bottle. i plan to open a bottle ever week for the three weeks im letting it carb up, just to notice the changes in the time period im letting it sit. im doing this recipe next though! my father and brother in law both like the darker stuff as well as i, but can appreciate a tasty pale ale.

I made a double batch of this and I had a really slow sparge. I didn't have any issues with a 6 gallon batch, but when I upped it to 12 gallons it really slowed down. I think next time I might throw in some rice hulls.

how soon are you guys drinking this? It has been almost 3 weeks in the primary. Just wondering if i need to secondary this thing or drop her right into the keg.

I did this all grain and I was happy with the taste but the head retention was lacking and there was absolutely no lacing. I hand wash only my beer glasses, so it was not an issue of any dry jet or other chemicals contaiminating my beer glasses. Any ideas on how to improve upon my next batch. I have made over a dozen IPA's and never had this problem.

Back