Lager yeast and carbonation cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogro

Reaction score
I'm a home brewer and am making my first apple "cider". Has anyone ever lagered a cider, and if so has anyone carbonated it? Any input would be appreciated! Yeast strain, temps, carbonation? Thanks n' Cheers!!!

By lagering a cider, do you mean to simply ferment it at a relatively low temperature?

If so, then yes, in fact that's the preferred method of fermenting cider. Most ale and wine yeasts work fine at those temps since apple juice is made entirely of easily to ferment simple sugars. Carbonation is the same as beer, bottle carbonation and keging are both viable options.

LeBreton said:
By lagering a cider, do you mean to simply ferment it at a relatively low temperature?

If so, then yes, in fact that's the preferred method of fermenting cider. Most ale and wine yeasts work fine at those temps since apple juice is made entirely of easily to ferment simple sugars. Carbonation is the same as beer, bottle carbonation and keging are both viable options.

Cold fermentation is correct, I have a bad habit of referring to it as lagering. I purchased white labs wlp720 (optimum temp is 70-75) but I am thinking about employing a "lager" strain instead, my thoughts being it would be more crisp and clean tasting (for my wife who usually drinks sweet, light bodied wines/beer). I will be kegging. Any thoughts?

I don't have any experience with that yeast strain, but the range seems pretty high for a low-temp ferment. Perhaps someone else can chime?

Latest posts

Back