Critique my IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilishprune

Reaction score
I purchased a bunch of hops recently, and I thought what better way to use them than in an IPA? Here's a recipe that I came up with, and I just wanted it to run it by everyone to make sure that there was nothing grossly wrong with it. I've had a lot of citrusy IPAs, but for this one I wanted to go more with the piney side, so I'm using a lot of chinooks (a la arrogant bastard). I'm not sure, though, how nugget would play into this. I've never had it that I know of but I wanted to experiment with it.

I have a large variety of other hops on hand, including simcoe (which I realize most people love), and columbus.

Recipe: Dank IPA
Brewer: David
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 9.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 73.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs 12.0 oz Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
3 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 24.00 %
12.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.00 %

0.75 oz Nugget [12.20 %] (60 min) Hops 27.9 IBU
0.75 oz Chinook [11.20 %] (60 min) Hops 25.6 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.20 %] (10 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
0.50 oz Nugget [12.20 %] (10 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.20 %] (5 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
0.50 oz Nugget [12.20 %] (5 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [11.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Nugget [12.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook [11.20 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Nugget [12.20 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 12.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 25.00 qt of water at 159.3 F 152.0 F

Anything grossly wrong with this? I'm going to use some washed yeast from a previous batch on this one.

Also, what should the fermentation schedule be like? I'm thinking two weeks, then into the keg with dry hops, then drinking in a week or two. Too young?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Looks like a big beer. Nugget is an herbal hop too, so you will have a piney beer.

I would not drink it till it was 8 week old, but that's just me. I'd ferment it 2.5 to 3 weeks, then keg & dry hop it 10 days, then carb it and let it sit for another 3 weeks. Of course taste it after the first week and you will see what decliciousness that patience brings.

I haven't brewed with Nuggets a lot so can't comment on their contribution but love me some 'nookies' and the malt bill looks great!

Thanks for the help!

Usually I exercise more patience the 4 weeks that I mentioned, but I supposed 8 weeks is probably the better idea. I just didn't want to lose any of that (hopefully) delicious hop aroma.

Looks like a solid recipe to me, let us know how it turns out.

That WY1272/WLP051 yeast is a good one. Leaves a little more character/mouthfeel than US05/001/1056. When I've used it it's had a thick, gooey, bubbly krausen for up to two weeks. No problem whatsoever - so don't worry if you witness the same. Just a characteristic of the strain. If eventually goes down and flocculates just fine.

I use Chinook and Nugget for most of my IPA's. Love 'em. I do dry hop with some Centinnial or Simcoe just to get a little citrus in there...

I considered this, maybe on the next batch (if this one turns out!).

Looks like a solid recipe to me, let us know how it turns out.

That WY1272/WLP051 yeast is a good one. Leaves a little more character/mouthfeel than US05/001/1056. When I've used it it's had a thick, gooey, bubbly krausen for up to two weeks. No problem whatsoever - so don't worry if you witness the same. Just a characteristic of the strain. If eventually goes down and flocculates just fine.

I've had nothing but good experiences with this yeast. I made an american wheat with it that I have on tap right now that is fantastic! I was trying to decide between this one and a US05 cake that I have going as well, but I tend towards the fruitier 1272.

I would consider adding one different hop as a late hop addition. Have one of the citrus hops add a nice little touch.

So, which variety would you suggest, and how much? I have simcoe, columbus, cascade, sorachi ace, summit, centennial (not this, I hate centennial), and citra.

Latest posts

Back