Southern Il. brew club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambogi76

Reaction score
These forums have been very helpful, thank you much. But, forums has its limits. I have been dyeing to join a brew club, but there isn't one that I have found closer than 60 - 80 miles. So I have decided to try to form one here in the Carbondale, Il area. The problem is I have never even been to a brew club. Can anyone give me advise about starting one up. I am going to leave a post in my LBS to see how many people would be interested in one. I personally don't know anyone who brews here, but the guy at the LBS says there are plenty in this area who does. I would like to get one started this fall if all goes well. What sucks is that I don't have anyone to give me feedback about my brews and it would be fun to talk to others personally that has this awesome hobby. All of my friends and family don't understand this great hobby and doesn't appreciate REAL BEER. Or maybe my beer just sucks, but I love it, kind of like a parent that has an ugly baby...LOL.

Thank you in advance
Sam

Southern Illinois? Oh, wait, that's everything south of I-80 isn't it? :D

Seriously though, good luck getting this set up and way to take initiative. I'd start simple: post fliers at the LBS with their permission and try to arrange for a date in the future to get a meeting together.

Southern Illinois? Oh, wait, that's everything south of I-80 isn't it? :D

Seriously though, good luck getting this set up and way to take initiative. I'd start simple: post fliers at the LBS with their permission and try to arrange for a date in the future to get a meeting together.

Yep thats it... Yeah I hope i'm not bitting off more that i can chew. I hope I can find others that are interested in this just as much to help put this together.

I live in Carbondale for law school and am a home brewer, but only with malt extracts. Also, I have a friend in Murphysboro who brews; whole grain.

I never got any hits when i left a posting at old town, but I still would like to get to know people in this area that home brews. I currently dont. Are you going to the big muddy monster brewfest in murphy?

I'm definitely going to big muddy monster. I buy most of my supplies at Midwest Supplies from Minnesota and only occasionally purchase at Old Town.

I'd be interested in being part of a brew group, for sure.

Back in October I found some people with the same idea, they were farther along than I was in setting one up so I just went with them. We have quite a few members now. You can check out our new website here and we are on facebook as well.

There is an active So I'll brewers club! PM me and I will give you some info. We have monthly meetings, do beer exchanges, participate in area festivals, and recently attended a yeast workshop with Chris White of White Labs!

Siucubfan,
Southern Illinois brewers is a very active club. You have to be invited to join their facebook page and forum. If you are in murphysboro you a can go out to windy hill hop farm and talk to Matt about joining. The club meets monthly at various locations.
If you want you can PM your info and I will try to get it to the club president.

Back