Belgian wit recipe, any thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8man

Reaction score
My wife loves this stuff, so I thought I'd have a go at it.

.5 lbs. flaked oats
2.0 lbs. Extra light dry extract
1.0 oz. Hallertau (4.4AA)
boil 45 mins.

3.0 lbs. Wheat DME
1.0 lbs. clover honey
.25 oz. corriander seed
boil 10 mins.

1.0 oz. Orange peel (sweet)
1.0 oz. Saaz (3.3AA)
boil 5 mins.

Wyeast #3944 belgian witbeer

How does it look? Never tried this style before.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

UPDATED

i personally think saaz is better as an aroma/flavor hop. i'd use the hallertau for the bittering.

i'd also get rid of the extra light extract and honey and replace with all Wheat DME. Wheat extracts are already a wheat/barley mix.

the flaked oats aren't going to do much for you without being mashed...but will help head retention if you mash them with 0.5 lbs base malt (2-row, pilsner, etc.)

As for the oats, I thought quick oats may work. No?

The hops: switching them around may be better. I will consider that.

I have seen quite a few recipes for a white/wit. Some called for wheat DME only, some called for extra light DME, and some called for both.

I have ran this through Beersmith, and the wheat DME only recipe comes up pretty dark. The extra light DME added, instead of some of the wheat, lightens it up some.

The honey was to raise the gravity, and not much else.

Personally I don't think wit's need any other hoping than 60 min. addition. You want the yeast and spice to shine not hops. Also I would suggest trying fresh orange zest. It taste sooo much better than the dried stuff you pick up.

Hallertau for bittering, and nothing else. I see your point.

Maybe 3 lbs. wheat and 2 lbs. extra light?

.75 oz. .5 oz. ????

With a 5 min boil time, I assumed the amount needed would be more.

The orange peel, I will probably use. I already have it.

I do .25 oz. at 15 min. and think its just the right amount. I really like the yeast to do most of the spicing in my wits.

Just brewed a Belgian Wit myself...it's in the secondary looking delicious!

3/4# crushed Grain...steep @ 150 (30min)
Add LME (3.3# Golden Light & 3.3# Bavarian Wheat)...top off to 2.5 gal
Add .75 oz bittering hops...boil 45min
Add finishing hops, .5 oz corriander (cracked), .5 oz Sweet Orange Peel
Boil 15min
Cool
OG:1.049-ish

Yeast: White Labs Belgian WitWLP400

When you rack to secondary float muslin bag of .5 oz corriander (uncracked) & .5 oz Sweet Orange Peel.

Prime with 1.25cup unhopped wheat DME primer

It was a pretty easy recipe...visually it looks great...will report back on the taste!

I have updated the recipe at the top.

The wife likes blue moon/ sam adams white ale (that type)

Is this going to be anywhere close, or comparable. Just want something a bit different, IPAs are not her favorite. (Most of what I have right now)

Bumping up this old post on belgian wits to ask a question I can't seem to find the answer after searching through the other related posts.

I'm curious to know what happens to the orange peel and coriander while fermenting. Specifically, if they will continue to float on the top or will eventually settle to the bottom of the fermentor with the rest of the setiment and yeast cake.

I brewed and started fermenting this wit on Sunday 4 Dec and it is fermenting as expected. I just notice that in addition to the residual krausen foam, there is quite a bit of other stuff (hops remains, orange peel and coriander I assume) floating up there as well.

If this stuff doesn't settle out, I am not interested in having it in my bottles, and would like to strain it out but not exactly sure how at this point.

Thanks,
Joel

Back