I made unnecessary priming sugar syrup. Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilafdm

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I whipped up a batch of syrup (is there a better term?) out of corn sugar for today's bottling. Turns out, though, my pal would prefer to use carbonation drops, but my syrup's already cookin' away on the stove.

Once it cools, can I slap it in an airtight container and 'fridge it 'til our next bottling sessions? Or will it lose efficacy? Or ... sanitation problem, maybe?

Thanks!

It should be fine in the fridge. If you are worried about contamination just heat it up again and let it cool before using it, but if this is a thick enough syrup it should be difficult for anything to survive in it.

cheezydemon3 said:
down the drain.

EDIT: OH TO HELL WITH THAT!!!!

No one uses caps. You are right with the syrup.

While your friend is looking elsewhere, "accidentally" lose his carbonation drops and dump the priming sugar into the wort instead. I never did like carbonation drops, they always seem to disappear somewhere in the vicinity of the trash can when I'm around. :mug:

If your buddy really throws a fit you just made simple syrup. Mix up some drinks and have good times

So, I've still got this stuff, in a "locking" plastic container in my fridge. It hasn't been opened since I wrote the original post in May.

Should I still use it? It's just simple syrup after all, right?

OH GOD!!!!!!

I accidentally made some unnecessary oatmeal........WHAT DO I DO????!?!?!??!?!?

She decided on frozen waffles...after I already made it!!!!!! OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!

Back