Refractometer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevelle383

Reaction score
I just read that a refractometer wont read Sg only brix. I could have sworn I have seen them with SG incraments in the aquarium hobby. Anyone know for sure or where is a good deal on one that does read in SG?

Bobby_M has one that shows both scales at a solid rate... I'll be getting mine from him as soon as I'm working again... It's the next piece of brewing hardware I'll be picking up... That is, if I can't convince a family member to get it for me before then.

northernbrewer.com brewmasterswarehouse.com and a lot more of them, but i use the more beer conversion chart with my refractometer and it will adjust for alcohol content

thanks guys. Yeah it sstinks there isnt such an easy solution for all parts of the brewing proccess. But At least this gives you a definitive reading to do calculations, I hate messing with the bubbles and the loss of beer with my hydro.

Just bought one from Bobby. Dont tell th ewife. I was supposed to finally be "done" with my latest brew splurge

fast accurate readings (at the start of the process) and the ability to check the mash is a big part of why I'll be getting one. Not needing to pull large samples to spin a hydrometer in is another one. Not needing to worry about breaking the hydrometer anymore makes it worth a lot (almost said it's weight in gold)...

Yes Im excited to quickly read runnings as the come out. Whoohoo.
And brooklyn HAHAHa...no doubt man. Im also a woodworker so I get plenty of lashings. But I spent 3 weeks straight building the crib for my daughter expected in June so I earnd some brownie points. :D

Turned out pretty sweet

IMG_4925.jpg

Brownie points can be very good things to have... Especially if you can redeem them for even better things... :ban:

BTW, very nice crib... Love natural wood finishes...

Thanks. Yeah all natural is teh way to roll. Besides that cherry will darken substantally on its own after years of UV radiation. These a special place in hell for prple that stain cherry. ;D

These a special place in hell for people that stain cherry.

Pretty sure that punishment also has something to do with a cherry, well, at least initially... :eek:

I'm a firm believer in letting good/great wood shine through on it's own. When I was making knives, I'd use hardwood for the handles as much as possible. The only thing I would do to treat the wood is fill it with a sealer, and hand sand it so that it was just filling the pours. It let the natural beauty of the wood shine through. Of course, I was using nice black walnut for most of the handles. I still have a piece of that in fact. Large enough to make a mash paddle from. Really torn about doing that though. Since it is a really nice piece. Really nice character to it. Need to find some great use for it... Could use it for tap handles once I get a keezer. :rockin:

The top rails of the crib are quartersawn black walnut. I love the stuff too. My favorite domestic hardwood for sure. I just made my mash paddle from cherry. I would avoid the walnut as a mash paddle because of the oils are well know to cause problems in humans. In all reality... its probably fine , but why risk it. BUT... Tap handles would be soooo bad ass. I cant wait to make me some, but I dont have a lathe...yet. :D
My cousin makes Knives too. Hea also my best friend. Kinda sad I suppose. LOL. Na hes just a great guy. Do you own that camera? I am also a novice amatuer photagrapher, and a Canon fan. But I only have a rebel XSi. But hey...It takes amazing photographs for $800 in body and glass.

Ever hear of cocobolo? Not only my favorite wood, it is the premium knife handle. In the 20's it was used in all the very best cutlery in NYC due to its high oil content. When you sand it to like 600 grit you would swear that it was laquered. And its practacally water proof.

Yup, the camera is the one I own.. Canon 1Ds Mark III... Got all L class glass too (all f2.8 of course)... I've spent enough on my camera gear, that I could have bought at least one tricked out Harley... I made my way through the lower versions before stepping up to the 1Ds... Started with an used 10D, then a new 30D then new 40D before getting a 1D Mark III, then the 1Ds Mark III, traded a lense for a 50D, which I later sold. Sold the 1D Mark III too, since I wasn't using it...

I've heard of cocobolo, just never used it...

That chessboard makes me wish I actually played it these days. I haven't played in over 15 years... Basically I played with my father, but since he's been gone, I've not played.

I have some hardwood stirring/mixing paddles that I got from the restaurant supplier that I'm using. 100% safe and such, so I'm not worried. I've thought about drilling some holes in them, but they do a damned great job without doing that. Especially in my cooler MT... :D

I plan to get back into making knives once I have a house, and can setup a workshop. I'll get the metal working, and wood working tools to do it up right. As well as make sure I have a vacuum setup to get rid of the dust so I'm not breathing it in.

When I picked up the walnut, I was living in Florida, so it's more than a few years ago now. I went to the place that had it (along with lots of other different woods) and picked through several pieces before getting the one I have now...

I'm pretty sure I also have some desert ironwood in a storage bin... No idea what I'll use that for, just know it's hard as hell. Really lives up to it's name.

I just read that a refractometer wont read Sg only brix. I could have sworn I have seen them with SG incraments in the aquarium hobby. Anyone know for sure or where is a good deal on one that does read in SG?

4 x brix number=sg. So If refract reads 10, 10 x 4 =1.040

Pretty much true. It's actually a bit less than 4 but for government work it's fine. When I was picking a supplier, I just thought I might as well chose the ones that have both numbers on the scale for people who don't like doing math.

Exactly Bobby. Just bought one from you last night. At least I wont have to do math untill after fermentaion.

So I just picked up a refractometer from bobby and I have a few questions?

How quickly does the ATC work? I assume you can put a couple drops of boiling wort on the lens and close the lid and take the reading immediately correct?

Im asking because I noticed when I used mine that if I put the hot wort on the lens and checked it right away it would read, say 1.050 but 5-10 minutes later the reading on that same sample would be higher, say 1.055.

Amidoinitrite?

Back