More noob questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowespencer

Reaction score
I'd like to try my hand at a cider, seeing as it is the season...here is what I'm thinking.

Take 5 gallons of cider and add 1 lb of lactose for sweetness....ferment. I want just a light carbonation, so I'm wondering if I add just 1/3 cup of corn sugar for priming, would it be safe to carb in growlers or would I be making giant apple bombs? Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

I'd like to try my hand at a cider, seeing as it is the season...here is what I'm thinking.

Take 5 gallons of cider and add 1 lb of lactose for sweetness....ferment. I want just a light carbonation, so I'm wondering if I add just 1/3 cup of corn sugar for priming, would it be safe to carb in growlers or would I be making giant apple bombs? Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

Sounds ok, but I'd wait until after it's fermented out, and then add the lactose to taste. You may want more than 1 pounds, but you may find that you want a lot less. You can't take it out once it's in there!

I'm not sure on the priming- I would use an ounce per gallon. I don't know how many cups that is- I weigh mine. I would use beer bottles, though, not growlers. Most growlers are serving type vessels, for short term use. I don't know if I'd be comfortable bottle conditioning in them. You may find that the lids don't seal well, or, worse, that the bottle doesn't hold pressure well and it'll explode. You could easily get some 22 ounce bottles, if you want a bigger size, though.

I'm not sure on the priming- I would use an ounce per gallon. I don't know how many cups that is- I weigh mine. I would use beer bottles, though, not growlers. Most growlers are serving type vessels, for short term use. I don't know if I'd be comfortable bottle conditioning in them. You may find that the lids don't seal well, or, worse, that the bottle doesn't hold pressure well and it'll explode. You could easily get some 22 ounce bottles, if you want a bigger size, though.

I have a couple batches of beer that will need to be bottled and I'm running short....that's why I was hoping that growlers would hold a light carbonation without going 'splodey.

rowespencer - Go check around at your local high end dining facilities. A lot of places will serve champagne and just toss the bottles. Go in and ask if you can have a couple. Don't use wine bottles, though, they aren't meant to hold carbonated pressure.

Latest posts

Back