Aging a Marzen on oak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryceL

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just hoping I could get some tips on this. My brother in law is coming home from Afghanistan on leave sometime in July so I thought I would have a batch of beer ready for him when he gets home. He requested a Marzen. I have done one before with good results but I am looking to switch it up a bit this time. I love the characteristics in Firestone Walker's Oaktoberfest so I would like to age this on some oak. I'm thinking of using some medium toast American oak cubes to put in my keg during the lagering phase (about 5 months). I figure two weeks out I will use CO2 to force the beer into my serving keg and off of the oak, then set the psi to my serving pressure. Any tips or experience as far as amounts to use for this style beer?

I think the flavors would go really nicely but I would be really careful not to overdo it. Martzen has very delicate flavors and is lighter bodied so anything more than a hint would overpower it IMO. Good luck, it sounds like a good idea.

I say go for it, I think a light oak character could compliment a marzen nicely. I don't know what you batch size is but i would keep some un-oaked on hand to blend back into the oaked beer incase the flavor is too strong.

Back