Apple/pear cider and a perry attempt.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_al

Reaction score
Well I will start with the perry attempt. It's still clearing but we ended up adding AJ to it for more liquid. 65 lbs of pears that were picked and frozen. We "juiced" about half and ditched that idea. We had pear sauce. The other half we mashed up and put in a large straining bag added around 2 gallons of AJ to bring it up to around 5 in the bucket. Hit it with camphden and then pectic enzyme later the next day. Made a starter with paster champagne yeast.

It finally separated out nicely after 4 or 5 days. Lots of punching that bag down.

It was the first attempt and I was worried about leaving the fruit in for to long do we pulled the straining bag after 5 or 6 days and racked it into 3 one gallon jugs a half gallon and a wine bottle. On the bag of pears I poured another 4 gallons of AJ and it was off and running in less than an hour. After another 4 or 5 days I removed the bag and let it drain and more AJ to bring it up to 5.5 gallons. Racked it a few days later and it has cleared beautifully. I can read forum posts on my phone through the carboy.

Today we bottle the apple started from the bag of pears. I was very surprised that it is a much darker color than any of my strait ciders so far. Much better body to. There were a few random floaters in the neck but eh ohh well. Racked it to the bottling bucket and used 3/4 cup of sugar to prime it. Dissolved in some of the cider instead of water or using carb tabs like I have before. 52 bottles in all, the last one was a little short so it got a bit poured from the left overs from racking. Cloudy but I'll open it in 2 weeks to see how it's doing carb wise.

The pear is still in the gallon jugs. I need to get a 3 gallon carboy rack into that and let it clear some more. It's a very light color smells like pears and has a little bitter bitter/sour bite.

The apple is nice smells like apple and pear and I can pickup both flavors in the sample I tried. It is still a bit tart and hot but in 6 months it should be coming into its own nicely. The sg I can't remember for sure I forgot to write it down. But it was 1.06? 2 or 4 it finished at 1.002, I expected it to go lower but it was holding steady and crystal clear.

No idea what sort of pear tree but their small and flavorful. The previous home owner planted 1. I picked almost daily for 2 weeks to try and get them as they ripened.

well after all the waiting, both are awesome we kegged the pear cider after it aged, settled some more and we sucked off the lee's that fell in the keg the taste was less bitter and dirty and everyone loves it... the only thing some people said was bad carbonation, their sample came from a growler we poured and it just doesn't travel well. it has a little bit of a bitter bite but not real bad, i think its from our attempt at using a juicer that ended up shredding up some seeds that got into the mix.

Latest posts

Back