My Brew Froze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewPig

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a brew.

After completing primary fermentation, I racked to secondary. I had it sitting in the beer fridge for some cold conditioning.

Yesterday I went to pull it out of the fridge so it could warm back up to room temp.... when I discovered it was frozen!! Arrrgh!!

Its never happened before, and I haven't changed the settings on the fridge.

In any case... is my beer going to be alright?

Can I just rack & bulk prime, and bottle as normal??

I was going to smell and taste it, and if that went ok, bottle it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

TBP

You probably want to toss in some new yeast before you bottle it. I don't know how thoroughly you froze it, but I suspect your yeasties aren't really happy with you.

Other than adding some yeast to ensure carbonation, go ahead and bottle. There's nothing else in beer than can be damaged by freezing.

Pull off the ice and you'll have something resembling a barleywine or a very high ABV beer leftover. You should have taste-tested what was under the ice. I'll bet it'd be unique enough to consider saving and drinking as-is.

Well, on advice from my local Hombrew Shop... I slowly thawed out the beer, and racked/bulk primed, and bottled as usual.

I tried the beer after being in the bottle for over a month...

and...

It tastes bloody fantastic!!

Although someone said I should have drained the liquid and left the ice behind, and I would have had a nice Ice Bock.

eh.... I'm happy.

Back