Simcoe in stock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JimTheHick said:
The main home page of the site said ALL hops being sold were 2011 at the time I ordered wed. I sure hope they are, but I haven't gotten mine yet.

After reading this I checked and the site still says this, so hopefully they really are 2011s.

I got mine today, they're fluffy so they're the 2011 batch.

dscn1944l.jpg

Simcoe AND Citra...

I'm thinking about placing an order. I was just about to order the grains and hops for my next brew from Northern Brewer..which included 5oz of Citra for $10..It looks like this website has all the grains and everything else I need. Looks like I'll be getting a pound of Citra for $4 more ;)

iaefebs said:
Hop union changed the method they used to seal the bag. The bags Look identical to last year except they are fluffy and not hard vacuum sealed.

How does label peelers package the 1 pound bags? Should I be expecting something that needs immediate re-packing for storage?

Just got my simcoe from label peelers and the bags were pretty tight, nearly vacuum packed. Still hop union bags, just not like the others I got last week. Those were pretty loose. Not sure anymore...

Stankonia said:
These were from Label Peelers even though it says Hop Union right??

Ahhh! I didn't enlarge those pics so I thought they were 1 oz bags. Thanks to all you guys for answering my question!

My vacuum packed simcoe has the same Alpha Beta numbers. I wonder if they packaged 2011 hops using both methods.? I am sending a email to Hop Union and asking....... Email sent, if they reply I'll post the answer.

12.2% was last years AA (at least all the Simcoe I received). I have not been released my 2011 crop yet so I'm not sure if the new harvest is also 12.2%.

My household placed 2 orders with these guys over the past 2 days for 7.5 pounds of hops.

If it wasn't for this thread, I never would have found them. Now I've got every hop I wanted! The only hops I will need are the occasional ounce or two of Fuggles or EKG for a British beer.

Hop Union says their new nitrogen flushed packs are good for 3-4 years when kept in the freezer. I'm pretty sure all of the soft packs are the 2011 crop, but I of course could be wrong. Even if they are 2010, the new packaging protects the hops very well.

I also sent an email to hopunion but no response yet. Simcoe and Willamette were loose but Citra was vacuum-packed. My hops came from annapolis home brew though. Just got the simcoe from a backorder. I don't see them on their site anymore. Sixteen 1-ounce bags....handy!

My order still hasn't shipped yet. :( Just placed another one last night for Citra and Centennial as those seem to be in short supply as well. Never used citra but at <$1 / oz before shipping I couldn't resist. I broke my 2L flask and they have them for $16 so i grabbed two of those too. I've never seen them under $20 new before.

Now to continue the waiting game. . . :(

Hopunion has been using their new packaging for months now, it's not something that was just implemented with the new harvest

PoppinCaps said:
Just got my simcoe from label peelers and the bags were pretty tight, nearly vacuum packed. Still hop union bags, just not like the others I got last week. Those were pretty loose. Not sure anymore...

Are leaf hops packed this way as well?

well I just ordered 1lb of each Simcoe and Citra. I plan on using them quickly, and probably giving a 4oz of each to a buddy since my freezer is already stuffed full.

I had plenty of 2010 hops from Hop Union in the Nitrogen flushed soft packs. Don't use that as a factor to figure out what year the crop was.

What was wrong with the old method of storing?

I just bought a vacuum sealer, don't tell me it's no longer recognized as a good storage technique.

I think I read that they switch due to vacuum seals opening during transport, so sealing at home should still be a good option.

Do they ship USPS, or one of the other carriers? I'm asking because I leave for vacation next week, and can stop deliveries from USPS. Thanks.

Awesome, thanks for the responses. Since I know that I can have the delivery held while on vacation, I'll be ordering today.

Finally got mine today (Amarillo + Simcoe) from LP.

The 1 lb Hop Union bags are not vacuum sealed - at least they were not when they arrived. From what I have read and from what I recall from the website these are 2011 hops no? The only reason that I ask is that I purchased 1 oz Hop Union Simcoe leaf from the LHBS and it was vacuum packed and nitrogen sealed and I know that the leaf is from the 2011 crop. I am assuming that Hop Union doesn't vacuum seal and nitrogen flush the pellet bags or at least the 1 lb bags.

In any event I am going to break things down into 8 oz bags and vacuum seal. They probably would be OK in the existing bags but I have a sealer so I might as well put it to use.

I just ordered a pound of Simcoe pellets from NB.com. I needed a couple other maintenance items so it worked out well. $18.99/1lb or $1.18/ounce aint too bad!

Cheers,

I would say then that the labelpeelers simcoe is 2010 crop. Packaging, alpha, and beta was exactly the same as the packs I just got from northern brewer.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's 2010, too. The packaging for LP's Simcoe was very different than the other varieties I got from them last week. Meh, good price, and they go fast at my house anyway. Would be nice to get a confirm from them, since their website does say 2011 crop.

I would say then that the labelpeelers simcoe is 2010 crop. Packaging, alpha, and beta was exactly the same as the packs I just got from northern brewer.

Yep it is 2010. NB states in their catalogue "Starting in Sept. 2011 we will begin transitioning all of our pellet and whole hop stock to Hop Union's new N2 HopPack technology". As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a few 1oz packs of HU Simcoe leaf and they were packed with N2. I will also add though that 2 of the packs had lost the vacuum seal which kind of defeats the purpose of using N2 in the first place.

Not a deal breaker IMHO in that even if the pellet is a bit older it will still pack plenty of Simcoe (or Amarillo) punch. Hopefully they were kept in cold storage. At this point, given the shortage you have to take what you can get...

It would appear as if I now have a MASSIVE amount of hops. Some are tight packed (glacier) while others not (simcoe, sorachi).

Lookin' GOOOOOOOOOD

image-676389521.jpg

It would appear as if I now have a MASSIVE amount of hops. Some are tight packed (glacier) while others not (simcoe, sorachi).

Lookin' GOOOOOOOOOD

I guess my definition of massive is different considering I have many more bags than that picture and I'm not sure I'll have enough for the year. :rockin:

Wow I can't believe I slept through this one. I HATE missing out on hops. PLEASE let me know if anyone finds Simcoe pellets by the pound anywhere. I would take 1-3lbs. Thanks!!!

Back